Clash of the Titans (2010) Review | Teen Ink

Clash of the Titans (2010) Review

April 18, 2010
By SowmyaA SILVER, San Jose, California
SowmyaA SILVER, San Jose, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is full of unpredictability, so enjoy it while you can.


For the past few weeks, the Titans have ruled the box office, ranking in nearly 27 million dollars on the first day. With the picturesque locations, incredible special effects and popularity from the original 1981 version, the box office success is understandable. However, the film just does not have what the other film had; great acting.

For those who are not familiar with the story of Clash, Perseus, a demi-god and son of Zeus, challenges the Gods after Hades kills his human father, mother and sister for no apparent reason other than rage. He goes on a journey to destroy the Kraken, the undefeated beast created from Hades’ flesh, after he washes up onto the town of Argos. He is soon accompanied by soldiers of the town and his guardian angel Io, who faces a life of immortality after being touched by the Gods. With obstacles such as Medusa’s layer, he has his work cut out for him.

The films cinematography is superb. With the combination of breathtaking locations such as the Canary Islands off the coast of Spain and a salt mine in England, and unbelievable computer graphics, the director Louis Leterrier captures the essence of what modern film making should be. The script is slightly lacking, with its inability to keep a decent pace and to keep the viewer engaged. What keeps the viewer engaged are the well choreographed fight sequences. The score of the film was amazing and tied every scene with the next seamlessly.

The acting by the lead, Sam Worthington, best known for his Avatar fame, is just not up to par. He only demonstrates that he can wield a sword and run for his life. Moreover, he makes Perseus look like a whiny 7 year old who needs a time out. The strong actors of the film are Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, who play Zeus and Hades respectably. Fiennes suits the role of a sinister villain, from this character to Voldemort, and the viewers cannot get enough. Neeson owns every scene he is in and I wanted to see more of him and less of the whiny 7 year old. The other supporting roles are decent actors and did what they were told.

Overall, Clash of the Titans is a great watch in 3D just to see all of the special effects at its best, but if you are looking for a film with substance, this is definitely not it. My belief is that Leterrier wanted Clash of the Titans to be a blockbuster and that’s exactly how he made the film. If you are looking for that type of film, then by all means watch it, but I am warning you, you may cringe when you see Worthington try to act

The author's comments:
Article for my school newspaper. Feedback would be appreciated.