Avatar: Not the most Original Film in Movie History

Avatar literally slaughtered movie ticket records in December, grossing $2,700,155,459, thus earning the title of most grossing movie ever. Cameron also directed Titanic , and was the most grossing movie ever before Avatar. But Avatar wasn't very original.

I know what you might be thinking. I'm just a stupid critic. But, if you put lipstick on a pig its still a pig (sorry Mr. Obama, couldn't resist.). Let me explain. Lets take the blue people, the Na'Vi , for example. These blue environmentally conscious Giants are a lot like the Martians in the John Carter of Mars series. The Martians in that series are Green Giants with four arms that have kind of a similar culture with the aliens of Avatar.

Here's another example from the John Carter of Mars series. The hero, John Carter, is from Virginia, and he is transported to Mars after the Civil War. He becomes a hero on Mars, and he falls in love with an alien princess.

Sound familiar?
Here's why. When Cameron was a little kid, he read this John Carter of Mars series. And before Avatar came out Cameron was on the record stating that Avatar was the tribute to the sci-fi stories he read growing up.

That is why Avatar was not as original as people thought it would be. But still, Avatar is one of my favorite movies . Why? Because it reminded me of all those fond memories of watching Star Wars on VHS for the first time as a five-year-old.

It's just one of those cool movies of heroics.

lala22 said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:21 pm:
His movie was just like pocahontas also going to a new land falling for the princess while they destroy her land and the people that are there. He cant make a movie that is orignal he just copies off of people. There are more movies also that can be said about this movie that he took from.

FMA1842 said...
May 5, 2010 at 9:04 pm:

Its ture. The movie was well done but not that original.

Yes, the series he did was a similar base, but to me it seemed like Pocahontas *sorry if i misspelled.* You know, a group of settlers come in, one of them falls in love with a native and it goes on. Its cliched in a lot of movies. :3

I think Titanic was original and it was a beautiful story. It should have stayed on top.

Thanks for posting this

FMA1842

HPEA7954 replied...
May 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm :

I like Avatar - i mean if your saying that avatar is original fine. but then you cant really say ANY movie is. Im sure that any movie has a predecessor that has a similar plot of lesson.

Also - titanic wasnt original bcuz it was based off of an event. - just saying-

HPEA7954 replied...
May 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm :
ooopppsss! meant to say ISNT original - sorry :)

sallysunshine said...
May 5, 2010 at 6:23 pm:
i actually loved it!!