Zombieland | Teen Ink

Zombieland

By ShaunShaefron BRONZE, Farmington Hills, Michigan
ShaunShaefron BRONZE, Farmington Hills, Michigan

Never let the shadow of a failure block the sunshine of success.

In the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, a college student referred to as "Columbus" treks from Texas to Columbus, Ohio, in search of the rest of his family. But when he meets the frightening "Tallahassee" and is conned multiple times by two devilish sisters, Columbus begins to learn that his real family is all around him, and that some rules are meant to be broken.

As you watch Jesse Eisenberg awkwardly make a move on girls and fail in the process, you can't help but automatically compare him to Michael Cera, another young star that played his first major role in Arrested Development and then went on to play admirable roles in comedy-dramas like 'Juno' and 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.' I hope Eisenberg will get more roles like Cera, because while he isn't the best actor in the world, he does have a certain cute charm in him and a distinct awkward-but-funny quality.

The movie is jam-packed with wise anecdotes and rules like 'Don't be a hero' and 'Enjoy the little things' that make it not just another hopeless lame comedy like 'Meet the Spartans' or 'Dance Flick,' but something somehow deeper and more emotional. But don't get the idea that it's a touching film only created for the soppy type. There's plenty of gruesome murders and spurting blood that will both make you cringe and smile at the same time.

In the end, Zombieland doesn't really fit into one particular genre. Wikipedia defines it as a 'zombie comedy,' but it's more than just a couple teenagers and a cowboy running around shooting the undead. It's something darker and more valuable. It won't just benefit you for the 88 minutes it takes for you to watch it. It'll make you smile for years to come.

I saw 'Zombieland' twice, and the second time it reminded me how much I loved it. This is my first review, so tell me how I did!

vikesfan28 GOLD, Genoa, Nevada

I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing.

-Wierd Al Yankovic

One of my favorite movies ever!!!  The last half of the review was wonderful, but the first half seemed a little forced and strained.  Is it really only 88 minutes?? I didn't notice...