Avatar | Teen Ink

Avatar

By MusicLover2012 SILVER, Beloit, Kansas
MusicLover2012 SILVER, Beloit, Kansas

Nathaniel Ayers: Beauty is art; music is beauty.

Nathaniel Ayers: You can't hold down angels.

Steve Lopez: A year ago, I met a man who was down on his luck and thought I might be able to help him. I don't know th

I agree that the story line is the same, but there are several points in your 'opinionated' review. First of all, Native Americans wore more clothes to cover their bodies than the Na'vi did. The female Na'vi wore only a small loin cloth to cover the lower parts of their bodies, and necklaces that conveniently covered the upper parts of the bodies and chests. The male Na'vi too only wore loin cloths and decorative necklaces. Native Americans in America wore more clothing than that. Men wore pants and women wore shirts and pants and skirts.
Another key point I would like to make about your "opinionated review" is that the 'white men' are expanding to new worlds because, and this IS pointed out in the movie at the end, their own home world IS DYING. They expanded to Pandora to try and find a new home. (But that is just my take of the movie.) They also came to Pandora to mine for minerals. And if you didn't notice, not all of the 'stereotypical white men' were greedy.
A third key point I would like to make is that you say Cameron had the opprtuinity to, and I quote, "formulate truly new and creative creatures but instead opted for imitation and unoriginality." And then you counter your very own words by saying, and again I quote, " he has succeeded in creating a new world of sparkling colors, fantastic creatures, and breathtaking landscapes." What is the point of saying that the director of the movie didn't do something, when later on in your article, you say he did? I'm just curious.
And fourth point I would like to point out is, again I quote, you say that "The distinction between good and bad is riddled with clichés and one-dimensional characters that make for a predictable outcome. While the film could have emphasized Jake's moral dilemma, he actually has no trouble deciding his loyalties, showing how “Avatar” sacrifices reality and the truth about human nature for the formulaic ingredients of a feel-good audience pleaser." I disagree. The outcome was totally unpredictable, the characters were NOT one-dimensional, and in the beginning of the movie it was hard to decide who was good and who was bad. And about how Jake's dilema is easy to decide, it wasn't. You have to remeber that his twin brother had been killed at the very beginning, he was paralized from the waist down, and all he wanted to do was be able to continue being a Marine. And how the movie is juast a feel good audience pleaser, and how it sacrifices truth, reality, and true human nature. Yeah, right. Humans, by nature, are GREEDY.
I have to admit that some parts of your article had good reverance. But when you practically disrace the director and the actors or their performances I have to say that in MY OPINION you DID NOT watch the movie with open eyes. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you understand that most of this is based on MY OPINION of the movie.

In response to karen_xo's article of the movie.

karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."
— Pablo Picasso

Why did you take the time to write all of this...? I can write whatever I would like. You are quite naive to assume that just because I disagree with you, I didn't watch the movie with "open eyes," which in fact I did. Hello, Titanic is my favorite movie of all time, and Avatar is James Cameron's first big movie since then. So I was very excited but unpleasantly surprised.

Honestly, there is no need to attack me with your words, which, however, do not make an impact on me. Maybe we can talk when you get some pieces published in the magazine, learn how to spell, and take a few film classes.

I hope you understand that most of this is based on MY OPINION.