Clerks | Teen Ink

Clerks

March 27, 2010
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Kevin Smith - you either love him or you hate him. His movies are oftentimes crude, vulgar, and contain the worst role models of all-time, Jay & Silent Bob. At the same time, though, it's Smith's focus on his characters and his one-of-a-kind humor that makes his films really stand out. Whether we're watching a couple of store clerks go through a typical day or a couple of fallen angels try to get back into heaven, Smith's style and wit has embedded him into pop-culture for better or worse.

Clerks follows two store clerks, Dante and Randal, as they go through a 'typical day' at work. Having to endure stupid customers, anti-smoking radicals, and messy schedules, the two pass the day with impromptu hockey games and nerdy debates on subjects such as Jedi politics. Hilarity ensues as even more bizarre events occur throughout the rest of the day.

Characters are really the selling point of Clerks. Dante, Randal, Jay and Silent Bob, Willem the Idiot ManChild, Veronica - these are all people we can relate to and like. They're not cinematic messengers or philosophical megaphones; they're just people, and interesting ones at that. I can't sing enough praises about character in this movie, especially since many of them play off of each other so well.

The visuals are actually pretty good, in terms of an independent film. As Clerks was Kevin Smith's directorial debut, he didn't have that much money or support to begin with. In fact, the entirety of the movie was made on a budget that was roughly around $27,000. They're not Hollywood levels of greatness, but they don't need to be. Pure and simple, the visuals work well for the small job they're given.

The problem the film suffers from, I believe, is pacing. It's a fine pacing and all, but it can sometimes just go too fast for its own good. It's almost as if Kevin Smith wanted to spit out as many jokes as possible in order to secure a good critical acclaim. It's a shame really, because there's no need for him to hurry because his humor's funny as it is.

Clerks is the definite indie comedy experience. Low budget, witty characters, and a very funny script, the film delivers on its promises and then some.