Psycho | Teen Ink

Psycho

March 27, 2010
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


We all go a little mad sometimes, claims Norman Bates of Psycho. Even for those unfamiliar with the title, the infamous shower scene is renowned as one of the most memorable scenes of film history. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, one of the greatest workers of suspense to ever live, Psycho is a textbook example of what makes a brilliant movie so brilliant. Great characters, memorable and impacting moments, a great script, superb soundtrack, wonderful visuals, and an engrossing pace - Psycho has it all.

The film follows Marion Crane, a bank worker who steals $40,000 from her employer, in order that she might marry her boyfriend, Sam Loomis. On the run to Sam's house in California, Marion drives hours and hours from her home, Phoenix, Arizona, while trying to avoid any contact with the law or people in general. On a dark and stormy night, with the rain blocking any sight of the road, Marion stops at a nearby motel, owned by a reclusive son and his temperamental mother.

The characters here are all fantastic, each with their own motives, own distinct personalities, and all of the performances as these characters are just top-notch. Anthony Perkins, who plays motel owner Norman Bates, really steals the show, though. From his actual acting to his tiny, yet still noticeable, mannerisms, Perkins really helps bring this character to life.

The visuals, as I said before, are also fantastic. Light and darkness are especially played up, with the film starting quite bright before descending into "darker" territory, if you'll excuse the pun. Seriously though, light and darkness are just so well-used in this film that I'm glad Hitchcock chose to film Psycho in black-and-white. It just adds so much to the overall experience.

The soundtrack is just as wonderful as the rest of the film's other elements. It keeps the viewer on his/her toes, creeping us along as we follow this creepy and suspenseful narrative. It's sharp and penetrating where it needs to be, while also knowing where to slow down and relax. Only a few of the tracks are really memorable, but the soundtrack does its job flawlessly.

The pacing and the writing are so fantastic as well. The pace itself is just cinematic, slowly winding us through Psycho as if each scene were a long, dark, and mysterious hallway. It never bends or breaks for its audience, and the narrative just sucks you in because of how moving the pacing is. The writing's great, never having a dull or pointless moment. It's intelligent, dark, and its subtleties are a sweet cinematic treat. Hitchcock was a revolutionary in his field, breaking new ground in ways that were unheard of before the director's time. Hitchcock's even clever enough to stealthy break a few taboos in Psycho, breaking onto subject matter that'd be considered "obscene" for a "Hollywood movie".

Psycho is considered a film classic, and rightly so. Rich in character, narrative, pacing, visuals, and music, the film is simply amazing and showcases the genius that is Alfred Hitchcock.