Remember Me | Teen Ink

Remember Me

March 26, 2010
By HaileyHeartsReading SILVER, Eagle River, Alaska
HaileyHeartsReading SILVER, Eagle River, Alaska
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I was very nervous walking into the theater to see Remember Me, Robert Pattinson’s newest film also starring Pierce Brosnan and Emilie de Ravin. I was terrified that Remember Me would be too much like Twilight. Don’t get me wrong, I adore the Twilight Saga, but I wanted to see Pattinson play a role totally unlike Edward Cullen; that’s all I hoped for from this movie. What I got was so much more.

Remember Me is shown as a love story in its previews. While love is an aspect of the movie, it is really so much more than that. Tyler Hawkins (Pattinson) is a lost man in his early twenties. Since the death of his brother Michael, he’s been skating through life not really considering actions versus consequence. Through a random chain of events, Tyler is convinced by his best friend Aidan (Tate Ellington) to date the daughter of a police officer who arrested Tyler. This is where de Ravin comes into the story. She plays Ally, a sweet, quirky girl who struggles with the death of her mother (witnessed by her at age eleven) and her overprotective father (Chris Cooper). From there, the love component of this movie launches.

While the passion and love between Tyler and Ally is good enough to keep the movie-goers satisfied, there is so much more to the story. Tyler’s family is falling apart; his parents are divorced; his father (Brosnan) rarely interacts with his children; his artistic prodigy of a sister is teased cruelly at school. Ally’s dad supervises her as if she was twelve instead of twenty one and protects her to a point where it’s almost scary.

Through all these dramatic points, the movie still manages to avoid utter dreariness. Tyler is hilarious whether he’s taunting police officers or telling his sister that “abso-freaking-lutely” he’d love to go to her art exhibit. He smokes and is quite the ladies man- definitely not Edward! Also, Tyler’s best friend Aidan is hysterical. He plays a role that consistently makes the movie lighter and more enjoyable. He’s dedicated to getting Tyler to go out more and is always trying to make it with girls. His jokes aren’t very tasteful, but each one will make you laugh.

Overall, Remember Me was fantastic. It was very dramatic and extremely emotional, which I enjoyed but others might not. It was the classic tale of “poor, poor rich kid” with a new, intense twist to it. Go see it, you won’t be disappointed. Oh, and just a warning, bring tissues: you’ll need them.