The Blind Side | Teen Ink

The Blind Side

By Meggs BRONZE, BELLEVUE, Nebraska
Meggs BRONZE, BELLEVUE, Nebraska

Action, adventure, comedy, and romance; you choose. Whatever the choice, these movies can all be great. The Blind Side, a brilliant depiction of protecting the family, is one of 2009’s best films. This adventurous film goes from heart throbbing to fist clenching to tear grabbing, all in a mere two hours and six minutes. Directed by John Lee Hancock, Blind side catches the minds of the young and old as it goes back to high school experiences, tough times with the family, and moving on to a bigger life. With this great movie, it seems the only thing left out of the picture is some popcorn and a drink.

As the story unfolds, the audience gets to experience the growth of young Michael Oher. But, it is evident that this boy cannot become an NFL football player without the help of a compassionate woman and her loving family. Mrs. Tuohy observes Michael for about two weeks before realizing that he is without home and family. It is not until she takes him into her own home that she learns who Michael truly is. Coming from a troubled background she realizes that Michael has a strong sense of protection and that he would never harm her. As the Tuohy’s send Michael off to college and prepare him for college, they know that he is more than a good football player. Michael was there to protect his teammates’ blind side, but also the members of his new family. As a protagonist in The Blind Side, the character of Michael portrays a perfect role-model to young men and shapes the whole movie.

So with popcorn and drink in hand, the audience will watch as the story unveils a character that grows not only physically but emotionally. As he goes through many of the things that people go through today, such as high school ridicule, family issues, and fitting in, Michael discovers himself. From the point Mrs. Tuohy finds him on the street, to the point he is giving her a hug before departing for college, the viewers are hooked as they watch the heartwarming story unfold. Although most in this society don’t go through the same hardships that Michael faces, they sure get a sense of what it’s like after watching The Blind Side. A movie with fine detail and extraordinary emotion, The Blind Side portrays an account of a loving family that strengthens each other through tough experiences. Who is that person in your life that guards you? Who protects your blind side?