Sicko | Teen Ink

Sicko MAG

By Anonymous

Imagine experiencing a deep wound and having to clean and stitch it yourself (without anesthetic) because of your financial situation. This is the opening scene of Michael Moore's latest documentary, “Sicko.”

“Sicko” addresses the concept of a national health care system that many countries have, but not the U.S. Such a system provides free health care for any resident, regardless of income. This type of health care system currently exists in France, Cuba, Norway, and Canada, and other countries not mentioned in the movie.

Moore also speaks with people who have health insurance but were denied coverage for services that in some cases meant life or death. A few examples included a boy born deaf who was covered for a hearing aid in just one ear; a girl who was accidentally brought to a hospital not covered by her insurance and died while awaiting transport to another hospital; a father who was denied coverage for cancer treatments, appealed, was denied again, and died.

“Sicko” is perfect for anyone who loves to get the facts presented with humor, but it also reveals the inevitable truth. It truly pinpoints where our country stands and is definitely a movie worth seeing.