Sicko | Teen Ink

Sicko MAG

Imagine experiencing a deep wound and having to clean and stitch it yourself (without anesthetic) because of your financial situation. This is the opening scene of Michael Moore's latest documentary, “Sicko.”

“Sicko” addresses the concept of a national health care system that many countries have, but not the U.S. Such a system provides free health care for any resident, regardless of income. This type of health care system currently exists in France, Cuba, Norway, and Canada, and other countries not mentioned in the movie.

Moore also speaks with people who have health insurance but were denied coverage for services that in some cases meant life or death. A few examples included a boy born deaf who was covered for a hearing aid in just one ear; a girl who was accidentally brought to a hospital not covered by her insurance and died while awaiting transport to another hospital; a father who was denied coverage for cancer treatments, appealed, was denied again, and died.

“Sicko” is perfect for anyone who loves to get the facts presented with humor, but it also reveals the inevitable truth. It truly pinpoints where our country stands and is definitely a movie worth seeing.

thefirstday said...
on Jan. 8 2009 at 1:35 am
Hey, great job. The whole thing kinda freaked me out, i guess i'll have to see the movive myself. Thanks.

mrpickaxe said...
on Nov. 6 2008 at 4:48 am
Define facts. Fact: national healthcare coverage is part of something called socialism. Opinion: we need it. The reason so many people can't afford healthcare is that it costs so much. It would cost less than half as much if we would make suing for malpractice illegal. Then we would also have to force any doctor that causes problems for multiple patients to pay the people he wronged and be jailed, but I hope you get my point. We can make it affordable without the use of socialism and mutilating the economy.