The Princess and the Frog | Teen Ink

The Princess and the Frog

By broadwaygirl91 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
broadwaygirl91 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

For over 75 years, Walt Disney Pictures has created a wonderful display of films that has captured audiences of all ages. Films that has enchanted moviegoers with memorable songs, music, characters, and an underlying message such as " Beauty and the Beast", " The Little Mermaid", " The Lion King", and " Aladdin". Now Disney still continues it's promise to enthrall its audience with it's newest film" The Princess and The Frog". Not only does this film, like its successful predecessors, contain memorable songs and music, The Princess and The Frog happens to be a first for Disney's Princess lineup. The film introduces the first African-American princess brought to life by the resurrected power of 2d animation. The Princess and The Frog takes place in Louisiana in the midst of the hip-swinging, music-playing, jazz age. The film's lead heroine is Tiana ( voiced by the superb Anika Noni Rose) a 19 year-old waitress who works very hard so she can one day manage her very own restaurant. By fate, however, her plans are altered when she must help a handsome, selfish prince Naveen ( Bruno Campos) ,who becomes a frog by a voodoo spell, become human again when Tiana herself becomes a frog after one fateful kiss. The Princess and The Frog is truly a magnificent masterpiece and a real breath of fresh air. The storyline is very good and introduces many characters who miraculously break free of the usual stereotypes and are people we can identify with. The music and the scenery is pure joy. It greatly represents the lively culture of New Orleans from cooking gumbo to jazz bands and to celebrating Mardi Gras. This is 2d animation at it's best! I couldn't be any more happier when I heard that the studio was going back to how they developed animated films originally. I couldn't stop moving in my seat while hearing this music as it had elements of all kinds of music such as jazz, gospel,and the blues. I give The Princess and The Frog a huge thumbs up and I recommend it to anyone young and old, of any background, who has ever believed in faith, life, the unexpected, and in wishing upon a star.