We Are Marshall This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What would it be like to lose your favorite local football team because of an accident? For many of us, our local teams play a significant role in our lives. Consequently, when this happened in the true story “We Are Marshall,” we can understand the loss the small town experiences.

Marshall is a college town where football is everything. After a plane crash kills most of the team members, the town is devastated and even considers ending the football program.

Nate Ruffin (Anthony Mackie), one player who is not in the accident, refuses to let the football program be dismantled. The college finally agrees to put out a notice to find a new coach, knowing that few will be interested in taking the job. Jack Lengyel (Matthew McConaughey) finally comes into the picture, willing to take on the responsibility of recruiting and re-creating practically the entire team.

With the help of Red Dawson (Matthew Fox), a former Marshall football coach, Lengyel is able to bring a team together, but not without hurdles. The team is motivated by their memories and is able to continue – and even win a game – working through their grief.

Director Joseph McGinty does a very good job telling the story. This movie is both touching and symbolic as it tells the real story of the Marshall football team. It shows the perseverance of one man who never gave up, even when everyone else was against him.

A great family film, I would recommend it for all ages. Watch and be touched by the true events of this miraculous football team.

Xavier S. said...
this movie is relli sad if it happend to me idk wat i would do

jd023 replied...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

i love the movie i watched in health class last year and i got the  movie and it is awesome.

CupCakes023 said...
This movie sounds really good now i wanna see it so imma try to go get the movie =D