Passenger 57 | Teen Ink

Passenger 57 MAG

This movie is rated R. Those under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

From what I've seen, it can't be too hard to write a screenplay. In fact, I think I'll take a whack at it right now.

I want to do an action film, so I'll need a really big action hero. Clint Eastwood? Too old. Bruce Willis? Too expensive. How about Wesley Snipes? Not bad. He'll draw crowds and he doesn't cost too much. Perfect.

Now I need a plot. Terrorists are a sure way to go. Let's see, what could they terrorize? An office building? Sounds too familiar. What hasn't been done? A retirement home? No. A health spa? No. I know, what about an airplane? Yeah, that sounds great! Okay, the only thing I need now is some villain with an accent, and I've got an action movie!

Does this ring a bell? It should. This idea is the basis for "Passenger 57," the latest addition to a long line of action/terrorism films. Wesley Snipes plays John Cutter, an ex-cop who now works as the head of airline security. He gets a new job in California and "coincidentally" ends up on the same flight with infamous airline terrorist, Charles Rane (Bruce Payne). Rane has been caught by the FBI and is being taken to California for trial , on a plane!

Even for avid action fans, "Passenger 57" will be as boring as an airline magazine. Snipes, who has the potential to be a great action hero, is left high and dry by the writers of the film. His character gets burdened with the usual clich"s: a bad mouth, a quick fist, and a troubled past.

And what would an action movie be without one-liners? In "Passenger 57," whole conversations are spoken just for the sake of a one-liner like, "always bet on black." Towards the end of the movie, you start to ask yourself, what's the point?

That's just it. There isn't one. This shoddy, pasted-together movie has plot holes big enough to drive a Buick through. Amidst it all, Snipes sweep-kicks bad guys to the beat of elevator music and still has time for an intimate moment with a stewardess. He even jumps Bond-like into a cockpit, exclaiming, "The name's Cutter. John Cutter."

Pass the barf bag. n

WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

I love how creative the opening of the review is.  Congrats on this getting published!