Monty Python & The Holy Grail | Teen Ink

Monty Python & The Holy Grail

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah yes, Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Considered one of the greatest comedies ever made by many and endlessly quoted by even more, I'm quite embarrassed to say that I actually had never seen the film until recently. Did it live up to the hype? Quite surprisingly, yes actually. Though I didn't think the more renowned parts were that funny (ie The Black Knight), it never became UN-funny and the rest was still absolutely hilarious. Directed by Terry Gilliam, as well as Terry Jones, the former's wacky sense of humor shines through in the film and I don't expect everyone to get the style of humor.

The film follows the King Arthur, as well as his knights, in their crusade for The Holy Grail on a mission from God...who looks a lot like W.G. Grace. The plot, though, isn't really important. The entire entertainment comes from the amazing Monty Python group, who really know how to come up with comedy gold and memorable quotes. As I mentioned earlier, some scenes weren't THAT funny, but the delivering of the jokes were still top-notch. On the other hand, there were some parts of the film that had me crying because i was laughing so hard, the best example of which has to be the Killer Bunny. He may seem sweet, but his fluffiness belies his murderous intents. And who could forget the Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrgghhhh? Or the infamous Knights Who Say Ni?

I can't really say much other than that, as the experience of watching this film just cannot be summed up into words. Holy Grail is hilarious, witty, perfectly paced, and a blast to watch at that. There are a few "eh" scenes, but these are heavily few and far between.

9/10 - Fantastic