Princess and the Frog: Disney Shines Again | Teen Ink

Princess and the Frog: Disney Shines Again

By Trenton Gamble BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma
Trenton Gamble BRONZE, Edmond, Oklahoma

You adored the Muses (Disney’s Hercules), Brandy (Moesha) as Cinderella, Proud Family, Toni Braxton as Belle (Disney’s Beauty and the Beast), also That’s So Raven. Now introducing the first Black and second American Disney Princess/Heroine: Tiana. The Princess and the Frog continues the folklore of hand-drawn animation. The setting of the narrative is Jazz Age (1920s) Crescent City; this is Disney’s first American fairy tale. The anecdote focuses on 19-year-old waitress/chef, Tiana (Anika Noni Rose) who dreams of owning the best restaurant in the city. She’s the first Disney Heroine with career goals; Tiana’s portrayed as being liberated, cheeky, logical, sympathetic, resolute, punctilious, also gorgeous; in other words, she’s Penny Proud as an adult. Tiana’s got Belle’s brains, Jasmine’s temper, Mulan’s intuition, also Ariel’s pluck. In fact all five of these Disney Heroines are brought to life by the same supervising dauber: Mark Henn.Did y’all know that Belle, Snow White, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Mulan, and Tiana all have brown eyes? Her motivating dad, James (Terrence Howard) was a good chef, which explains where she gets it from; I am guessing he died before Tiana reached her late teens. Her realistic mom, Eudora (Oprah Winfrey) is a talented seamstress who makes several princess dresses for Tiana’s spoiled, quixotic, compassionate, debutante, childhood friend: 18-year-old Charlotte La Bouff;Tiana’s mom is worried that her go-getting spawn is all work, no play. Similar to Mulan and Pocahontas, the last thing Tiana ever wants to do is fall in love with a fellow one-dimensionally. She’s a very rousing African-American female exemplar. Other black female role models, real or imaginary include:

Fictional Black Role Model
Character Traits and
Personality
Character
foil
Portrayed by

Leshawna
Sensible
All dat
Impudent
Charismatic
Violent
Free spirited
Quick tempered
Benign

Leshawna vs. Heather

Respected vs dishonorable

Leshawna vs Izzy

Sane vs insane in the membrane
Real voice actress: Novie Edwards

Future
Voice actress:
Raven-Symonè

It's amixture of New Orleans lingo and French