New Moon | Teen Ink

New Moon

By Cassidy A. BRONZE, Gates Mills, Ohio
Cassidy A. BRONZE, Gates Mills, Ohio

Not Your Average Werewolves

Vampires. Werewolves. Taylor Lautner shirtless. Oh my! The release movie-version of Stephanie Meyers’ New Moon was a great success. Twilight fans across the nation filed into theaters to catch the midnight premiere on November 20th. Along with a group of friends (both girls and guys), I was able to go to the premiere even though it was on a school night! The universal response of most parents was, “Okay, you can go because you read the books!” During the movie, I was pleasantly surprised by how closely the movie followed the events in the book. I literally could remember reading the exact page that the movie was visually presenting. I think Meyers wanted the movie to follow the book to pay tribute to her devoted fans. Watching Edward leave Bella brought so much emotion from the audience, as Bella, played by Kirsten Stewart, was left alone in the forest, completely hopeless. Stewart’s acting was phenomenal, although she could have been a little more surprised when she discovers that Jacob is a werewolf. I know that her boyfriend is a vampire, but it’s not every day that your best friend turns out to be a vicious werewolf! Not to mention as toned and attractive as Taylor Lautner! The highlight of the film occurs when Bella drives to Jacob’s house, and the two reunite in the pouring rain in a very passionate and emotional moment. All eyes were on Taylor Lautner’s 8-pack of solid abs. I could tell that my guy friends were extremely jealous, trying (but failing) to find some flaw about Lautner’s bod. However, Lautner was not the only one that the ladies (including myself) were swooning over in the film. The new addition of the werewolf pack, including actors Chaske Spencer, Alex Meraz, Kiowa Gordon, and Bronson Pelletier charmed the audience. Many viewers swooned as this new crew jumped off of cliffs and turned into werewolves in the blink of an eye. On the other side of the spectrum, the Volturi characters added depth to the whole visualization of the physical features of living vampires. Specifically, Dakota Fanning, who plays the vampire named Jane (who can cause pain to just about anyone), blew me away with her stoic facial expressions and omnipresence on the big screen. Overall, the movie captivated the crowd, who cannot wait to bite their fangs into the next Twilight installment, Eclipse!

This is a submission for the New Moon Movie Review Contest.