Amélie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet creates a magical world in “Amélie.” Audrey Tautou stars as the eccentric Amélie Poulain, who one day finds an old tin of keepsakes, returns it to its rightful place, and is inspired to do more good deeds. We follow Amélie on her journey to find the meaning of everything.

Such a vibrant, crisp script is rarely found in movies today. These actors are not just acting – they are the characters. They are pieces of the intricately designed, puzzle-like world Jeunet has created. The French dialogue is enchanting; every sentence is like an arpeggio from a flute.

Yann Tiersen supplies the mood with the music. Each scene is sprinkled with waves of melodies and sounds with origins ranging from the accordion to a typewriter. Don't get me wrong, the simple, clean piano ballads are beautiful, but there is something mystical about music from a typewriter.

Wonderfully imagined circumstances are what make this movie so unique. Traveling garden gnomes, créme brulée, suicidal goldfish, and raspberries all make an appearance. Each shot is more fascinating, more colorful, than the last. Every scene has a warm, “sleeping in your own bed for the first time in a week” feel to it.

“Amélie” is truly one of a kind. Jean-Pierre Jeunet has created something wonderful here, and I encourage you to

smiley_alley7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The sole fact that your review exsists makes me happy.

I love this move so much.

This is a nice review.

KaylaKewlKat93 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:23 am
Oh my gah, I loved that movie so much. Great review!