Fargo | Teen Ink

Fargo MAG

By Dylan Long BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Dylan Long BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

I was taught to begin a movie review by retelling a moment that captures the spirit of the film. So, “I liked the part when he put the body in the wood chipper!” But don't get the impression that “Fargo” is a stupid suspense film with blood and guts. In fact, this movie may be the best I've ever seen.

“Fargo” tells the story of Jerry (William H. Macy), a man who is so far in debt that he hires two thugs (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife and extort money from his rich father-in-law for her safe return. His plan seems like it will work until news breaks of a triple homicide involving the kidnappers. Full of unexpected twists and turns, “Fargo” is the perfect crime drama.

The film is something you would expect from the genius Coen brothers. “Fargo” won Best Original Screenplay and Frances McDormand won Best Actress for her role as pregnant policewoman Marge Gunderson. “Fargo” was also nominated for Best Picture, and William H. Macy received a bid for Best Supporting Actor.

“Fargo” contains great dialogue. The Minnesotan characters always sound apologetic, even when they are mad at each another. The way they speak seems odd in this day and age. For example, in a rage Jerry says, “You're darned tootin'!”

I would definitely recommend this movie. It is filled with witty dialogue, action, and wonderful acting. “Fargo” is exciting, scary, suspenseful, and funny – all in 98 minutes. This movie should be widely celebrated but is definitely not recommended for children.