Cloverfield | Teen Ink

Cloverfield

September 18, 2009
By Alec.W BRONZE, North Miami Beach, Florida
Alec.W BRONZE, North Miami Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Clover-Failed

I cannot express in words how much of a disappointment the movie “Cloverfield,” directed by Matt Reeves, was. I saw this movie recently and without a doubt, it was the most pathetic attempt at filming a science fiction movie ever. It had such a promising plot but the terrible acting, nauseating film work, and horrendous directing proved the movie to truly be a “rotten tomato.”

If I asked just about anyone in the world to name one actor in “Cloverfield,” there would most likely be a universal “No.” The cast was full of amateur actors who really need more practice before appearing on the big screen anytime soon. Not one of the main cast members were above the age of 30. This shows the inexperience between them. The characters in the movie were flat, monotonous, and unable to even keep a fifteen year old occupied.

The filming of this movie was so sickening that I felt as if the world was upside down. It was nauseating down through the stomach. I much rather prefer the standard filming of movies to the rather odd handheld amateur 1st person filming method. I felt like I was on Youtube watching some group of kids having fun making a movie. Roger Ebert even dubbed it the name “Queasy-Cam.” Some AMC movie theaters even had notices that people should beware of motion sickness. The movie that comes to mind with similar camera filming methods is “The Blair Witch Project.” I never actually saw that movie but if it is anything like the film work in “Cloverfield,” I DEFINETLY do NOT want to see it EVER!

The idea of a monster attacking New York City could potentially make a good movie, but Matt Reeves completely ruined a possible classic. Once again, going back to the camerawork, I may have enjoyed this movie if it were like any other movie today. I still probably would not have loved it but I definitely would not be writing such a negative review. I cringe at the thought that there will be a sequel planned to be released. Cloverfield was such an immense disappointment that I was able to write 400 words and four paragraphs on how poorly the film was made. This was honestly the longest and most painful 84 minutes of my life.