The Hangover | Teen Ink

The Hangover

By JAWeiss BRONZE, N. Miami, Florida
JAWeiss BRONZE, N. Miami, Florida

The Hangover, a 2009 summer comedy, directed by Todd Phillips, was one the funniest movies I have ever seen. I love comedy movies and this movie was right up my alley. This movie literally had me tearing up from laughter. It is not one of those comedies that just try to be funny with no story or anything; this movie had a storyline and was hilarious. Apparently, I was not the only one to like The Hangover; it made around 272 million dollars in the few months it was in theaters. When I first read about the movie's plot, I thought for sure it was going to be one of those comedies just attempting to make the viewers laugh. I was completely wrong; from the opening scene when Doug (Justin Bartha) met his future brother-in-law Alan (Zach Galifianakis) standing in a jock strap, to the last when Stu (Ed Helms) realizes his marriage in Las Vegas was better than his controlling girlfriend, this movie really caught and held my attention. Even though most of the jokes are crude, racial and sexual, this movie fits the laughs of any high school or college student. I am not saying adults would not like it; it is just that the jokes seem to be more adolescent oriented.
The movie starts with four friends, Doug (Justin Bartha), Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and Alan (Zach Galifianakis) going on a road trip for a bachelor party in Las Vegas. The four friends vow they will never forget this night. Soon after, the night becomes something they cannot remember a thing about. They awake the next morning to find their friend, Doug the bachelor, missing, Phil wearing a hospital bracelet, Stu, the dentist, has a missing tooth, and Alan is dead asleep on the floor. Their hotel room is completely trashed, with a tiger in the bathroom, a chicken who wakes them up, a crying baby in a closet, and the three of them lying on the floor. So, the three remaining friends strive to recall what took place the night before and locate their missing friend. While trying to remember their night, they run into Mike Tyson, a crazy man, a wife, and a hospital visit. These are just some of the hysterical things that take place in their day following up their outrageous night. All those events lead up to Doug's wedding day where they are hundreds of miles away from and without the soon to be groom.
So, do they risk making it back home in time for the wedding or do they have to break the rule, “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”, by telling the bride what really happened? With all the humorous scenes, what comes out of them are jokes that seem like the director knew what would make young American adults like the most. To find out why millions of Americans loved The Hangover, you are going to have to see the movie for yourself.

I love comedy movies and this was one of my favorite movies ever.