My Sister's Keeper | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper

By Samantha Halpryn BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
Samantha Halpryn BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida

As I walked into the movie theater with my mom, both she and I were anxious to see My Sister’s Keeper. I hadn’t read the book but my entire family had. They said this was such an incredible book, that I decided to see the movie and then read the book after. I know that that’s not what people normally do but I enjoy getting the vivid picture shown in front of me before I read the novel. This movie was directed by Nick Cassavetes with star actors and actresses like, Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin, and Sofia Vassilieva. I am fond of these actors and actresses which made me and many other viewers eager to see the movie. When my mom told me we were seeing this movie she said it would be a tear jerker. I never usually cry in movies but in this particular movie I was balling. From the struggles of having a family member deal with such a terrible disease it make the entire family deal with the problem as well as the person actually dealing with the problem. (Obviously in a different way than the one dealing with the actual problem)
This movie is about a girl named Anna struggling with cancer. Her parents Brain and Sara then “create” a baby named Kate to help their other child. While the child with cancer is struggling with her battles her mother and father are trying to keep it together. Since her parents are so concerned with her they forget about their son, Jesse. He soon becomes a troublemaker and Kate the “created” baby is being forced with numerous amounts of surgery for her sister’s health. Kate then goes on and sues her parents for medical emancipation. The way the family deals with the situation they are dealt with is what made this movie extremely touching. The family issues made me and other viewers anxious to see how they would react to the next problem.
As the movie goes on the family goes through situations that happen in everyday lives. The movie is a miracle believed movie that can inspire all ill people to have hope. The book and the movie had their differences but I enjoyed them both with the satisfaction of having the desired happiness even though the ending was heartbreaking.

on Oct. 24 2009 at 8:31 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I loved this movie. It was so sad! I didn't cry at it, suprisingly. I usually cry at movies that are barely sad! The movie ending was much better than the book. But in your review you got the name's mixed up. Kate has cancer and Anna was the created baby.

buggaboo said...
on Oct. 11 2009 at 9:40 am
it made me cry!!!!!