Inglourious Basterds | Teen Ink

Inglourious Basterds

September 17, 2009
By AaronWeisman BRONZE, South Beach, Florida
AaronWeisman BRONZE, South Beach, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Inglourious Basterds is the fictional account of a special US squad compiled of the country's best Jewish-American soldiers. The fictional squad is led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) who has one thing in his mind throughout the film, killing Nazis and removing their scalps. The movies main strength would be the intriguing and hilarious characters. Other notable characters are Sgt. Donny Donowitz (Eli Roth) or otherwise known as “The Bear Jew”, Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz (Til Schweiger) an infamous Nazi killer.

The movie's setting is also something to be noted is the setting. It takes place in Nazi occupied France. The music fits the setting perfectly. The sets are also very nice. From theaters, to restaurants, to farm houses, the subtleness and bland colors contrast perfectly with the vivid colors of the European background. By choosing bland colors to contrast with the vivid ones, It not only makes the background stand out but it lets you focus more on the characters and their brilliantly written dialogue.

This film pays absolutely no attention to history. The only bit of truth is that France was once occupied by Nazis. At some times the film goes to extreme extents of historical inaccuracy that results in something laughable. For example, Hitler getting shot in the face non-stop for about 45 seconds, and then exploding. This isn't a real problem because the inaccuracy is laughable and entertaining. But this film is defiantly for people looking for entertainment and a unique experience and not a Historical account of events.

One of the most enjoyable moments of the movie is the unexpected appearance of Mike Myers as a British general. There aren't any more Austin Powers movies so I am always glad to see him. One of the reasons I greatly enjoyed this film is its use of unknown actors. Besides Mike Meyers, Brad Pitt, and Eli Roth, you may not be able to recognize any of the German officers or other squad mates. A lot of the actors are foreign considering most of the movie is spoken in languages other than English or the English / Italian abomination of a language spoken by Brad Pitt, (German, French, etc.) One of the film's best actors Omar Doom, has only been in one other movie with a minor role, that movie just so happens to be Quentin Tarantio's Death Proof.

In conclusion, this movie is a true Nazi killing experience. There are many times where you will want to stand on your seat and cheer. This film has everything from huge explosions to extremely long conversations that seem to last forever but still keep you on a strange suspenseful guard. An interesting fact is that Tarintino not only directed the movie but also wrote the screenplay, which was based off an earlier film. This film is for any fan of gore, comedy, and killing of Nazis and is strongly recommended.