Ponyo | Teen Ink

Ponyo

By GooGirl1995 SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
GooGirl1995 SILVER, Tucson, Arizona

"Don't be afraid to be yourself. And don't worry about getting famous because that means nothing. There are a lot of really useless people in this world that are famous."

-Johnny Reznik

Ponyo is a recently released moive directed and created by aclaimed animator Hayao Miyazaki. Ponyo is an adorable version of Hans Christan Anderson's " The Little Mermaid" in Miyazaki's spectacular filmaking world.

Ponyo is an oversized goldfish who lives with her other siblings and her father, who gave up a human life to care for the continusally polouted ocean by creating exlirs. Ponyo escapes from her father's ship one morning and finds herself trapped in a jar on the beach, where she is found by five year old Souske.

Souske and his overwoked mother, Lisa, live ontop of a cliff bordering the seashore. Souske's father is out at sea, working constantly. Wishing to see his father again, Souske constantly send out light signals when his dad passes by on his ship. Souske enjoys going to the beach outside of the little cliffside home, in which one morning he finds little Ponyo trapped in the jar. He places her into a little plastic bucket and lovingly names her Ponyo.

Over time, Ponyo develops a innocent love for Souske and wishes to become human too, dispite the oncoming natural disaters and the fact her father doesn't wish for her to become human and stay a fish forever with her magic and all.

Ponyo is a beautifully animated movie with plenty of humor and heartwarming scenes. Miyazaki has made another adorable classic that you will want to bring everyone in the family to come and see. I highly reccomnend you should watch it, if you have a chance. I give it a wonderful four stars ****.

americanteen97 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
This is better than the review in the Magazine