Ponyo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Ponyo” is Hayao Miya­zaki's tenth film. Named one of the best animators of his time and voted by Time magazine as one of the most influential Asians, Miyazaki has drawn and directed many famous anime films, including “Spirited Away,” the first anime movie to win an Academy Award.

Most of Miyazaki's films are hand-drawn; his first to use computer animation was “Princess Mononoke,” which topped the box office until “Titanic” was released a month later. Although Miyazaki used computer animation in some of his movies, with “Ponyo,” he again hand-draws everything – over 170,000 images.

“Ponyo” is about a goldfish who escapes from home. She becomes caught in a jar in the sea but is rescued by Sosuke, a boy who lives on a cliff. He cuts himself on the broken glass and the fish licks his wound to heal it.

Sosuke and Ponyo develop a close relationship. Then the master of the sea takes Ponyo away. Since Ponyo has tasted human blood, she starts becoming human. Ponyo tries to return to Sosuke but a tsunami threatens to destroy the island where he lives.

Miyazaki does a great job representing waves; at times they are monsters and other times giant fishes. All the graphics are amazing. Because I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's films, I highly recommend “Ponyo.”

Nuclearnerd said...
I love Miyazaki movies! He is truly a genius. Who thinks he should have one of his movies dubbed b FUNimation?

HOPEMVP said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 11:32 am
Did u know Noah Cyrus, Miley Cyrus's little sister starred in the American version along with Frankie Jonas, the Jonas Brother's brother as well? By the way excellent review

Rockerray101 replied...
I thought Noah Cyrus was a boy.

HOPEMVP replied...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 8:06 am
No, she's Noah Lindsey Cyrus, a girl

Rockerray101 replied...
I know....kinda got embarassed when I said she was a boy. The class (all the Hannah Montanna fans got silent...

Natalie M. said...
Sept. 22, 2009 at 11:51 am
Oh yeah, and did anyone else notice that when the dad didn't come home, the mom popped a can of beer?

Natalie M. said...
Sept. 22, 2009 at 11:49 am
I Loved this movie. It was really interesting how he tied in the more adult theme of parenting in with all the things a young child would get. I especially enjoyed the scene where Ponyo's father has put her in a bubble and is squishing her, saying "revert, revert, be still, don't change!" I bet we've all felt like that!

Valkyrie_123 said...
i tottaly loved it plz post more