Freedom Writers | Teen Ink

Freedom Writers

May 15, 2009
By Anonymous

Freedom Writers is a brilliant movie set in Los Angeles, California during the time of the Rodney King riots in 1992.There are wonderful actors in the movie Freedom Writers whose names are Hilary Swank, Scott Glenn, Imebla Staunton, Patrick Dempsey, and the singer Mario.

Erin Gruwell, played by Hilary Swank, faced two problems as a teacher in Freedom Writers. One, trying to get a class of young teenagers raised on gang violence to care about their education and life. Next, Mrs.Gruwell battles to try and stay with this class to their junior year

In the beginning of Freedom Writers Mrs.Gruwell meets up with these violent and disrespectful freshmen. The way Mrs.Gruwell first started teaching didn't really workout. Therefore, she bought them journals to write their own story and to learn more about them. Next, Mrs.Gruwell buys them books they can relate to. They start showing progress due to their interest in reading.

The middle part of Freedom Writers is the start of their sophmore year. During their sophmore year Mrs.Gruwell and her husband get a divorce. Also, one of her students learned about a lady named Miep Gies who was involved in the holocaust. The other students found out about her and encouraged Mrs.Gruwell to have a fundraiser to bring Miep Gies to their school.

The end of Freedom Writers Mrs.Gruwell's students figured out she is only qualified to teach freshmen and sophmore English. So, they knew she wouldn't be there next year. Therefore, her students influenced her to fight and try to keep them one more year.