The Hunger | Teen Ink

The Hunger

July 22, 2009
By JusticeJohnson SILVER, Pine Junction, Colorado
JusticeJohnson SILVER, Pine Junction, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Okay, so I'm going to be completely honest, I thought that this movie was going to be crap. The title of the movie didn't attract me at all and I only knew the Actress Susan Sarandon from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and David Bowie as a contreverial rockstar from the 70's. But as I watched I realized that Director Tony Scott did really well for a movie that was created in 1983. Also, as I watched this movie in my brother's office chair, on his computer I realized that I will read Whitley Strieber's novel that this movie was adapted from.


In the city of New York a vampire by the name of Miriam Blaylock (Catherine Deneuve) and her lover John (David Bowie) love eachother with such an erotic and emotional passion they everyday tell eachother: "Forever and ever." But that doesn't last as long as John thought it would. Miriam has the power to only give the ones she loves the gift of immortailty but after 300 years of being with her lover, the man or woman will rapidly get old, but with her blood running through there veins will never die. They instead stay in a a dull existence, able to think but not interact. John instead of excepting his fate goes to Gerontologist, Dr. Sarah Roberts (Susan Sarandon) in hopes that she can cure him. Sarah doesn't believe him at first, but when she reailizes that whats happening to John, she goes to Miriam in hopes to find him. But instead Miriam finds her next lover.


I gave this film a 9.0 out of 10 cause It gave me a lot more than I expected. I didn't expect to cry from a Vampire movie, but I also didn't expect it to have the romantic qualities of Interveiw with a Vampire. Alot of reviews say this movie is slow, but I would have to dissagree. It kept me interested. However it is an 80's movie so the effects are not that great. But if you like either Interveiw with the Vampire or Lost Boys, your sure to enjoy this movie.