Wall-e | Teen Ink

Wall-e

July 19, 2009
By Meghna Kadalbajoo GOLD, Melbourne, Other
Meghna Kadalbajoo GOLD, Melbourne, Other
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Disney's Wall-e is a movie which deeply explores how humans are responsible for their own futures. The movie, directed by Andres Stanton, investigated many themes ranging from pollution to consumerism. Throughout the film, the accountability of humans' destroying the earth expands and intensifies.

At the beginning of the movie, the earth was shown as a desolate, unsustainable, lifeless and dusty world. The camera then revealed Wall-e, a robot “working to dig you out” of the Earth's waste. Earth was in such a bad state due to the excess consumerism that humans had created, that the amount of trash, rubbish, and plastic that the humans left on earth was gob smacking. Yet, instead of staying to clean it all up, the humans fled in the BnL Axiom Space Cruiser. Is it really fair to pollute one entire planet until it is left lifeless? This shows that the recklessness of the human race caused the destruction of earth.

In the film, the human race was portrayed as a species that had a total loss of self control. In the Axiom Space Cruiser, not one single person seemed to have any opinion. Nor was a single person independent, nor was anyone able to fend for themselves. For example, when John fell off the hover chair, he needed some sort of robotic help in order to get back on. All of the humans on the Cruiser were eating out of cups, yet no one objected. The day and night settings would frequently change, wasting 5 hours of someone's life, yet no one objected. If they wanted to, the humans could have at least enquired about the motives of the robots.

During their stay at the Axiom, the humans also seemed to be oddly, and extremely, lazy. They allowed themselves to get out of shape and obese, and although space had an impact on their bone density, nobody questioned the fact that they were becoming fat and unfit. For instance, the humans looked as if they were blind to their mirror reflection, as there was clearly no physical activity taking place, as the quote “We have a jogging track?” suggests. If the humans could flee earth in order to survive a nice life, why couldn't they even take care of their figure on the ship?

All of the humans were also tremendously dependant on technology in the future. There was no socializing, and everyone was communicating through instant messaging headsets. There was evidently no such thing as “nature”, as everyone was living in a floating ship in space. Even if someone was sitting next to you, you wouldn't turn to speak to him, but you would just talk to them through your headset. People had become so dependent on technology that they even relied on robots to take care of their babies and children. Is this really what human beings should do? Would do? And yet, when the trouble struck, the humans “mysteriously” came back to their senses.

The humans in this movie were definitely responsible for the 700 years that they lived in space. Once the pilot had the robots shut down, people finally came to reality and realised that they had destroyed earth. In the end, the humans had no one else to blame for their misfortune but themselves.


The author's comments:
Wall-e shows us how the earth can become if we dont take care of it. PLEASE help the earth and dont litter.