My review on the short film, | Teen Ink

My review on the short film,

By writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California
writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"I feel more together when I am a mess." -NF on the song "Like This"

A homeless teenager feels obligated to help a blind and deaf man get home safely. In the documentary Feeling Through, a homeless teenager named Tereek looks for a place to stay for the night. Tereek stumbles upon a man at a bus stop who holds a sign that says, “Blind and Deaf. Just trying to get home.” Seeing that it is late at night and nobody is around to help this man, Tereek feels obligated to. In the short film, we see how Tereek seems to be very insensitive towards others in the beginning. For example, at the beginning of the film, he yells at another homeless man asking for spare change. At first, I didn’t care too much for Tereek as he displayed a nonchalant attitude and personality. To then eventually have both empathy and sympathy for a man he’s never met before. Something I took away from this film was no matter the circumstances people are in, they are still humans with emotions. Tereek is a social status in the lower class but he is still a young man with a lot of emotion. Tereek being homeless makes him no less of a human than the next person. This film will change the way you see homeless people or all people for that matter. 

In the film the homeless man, Artie stands out as the most interesting character to me. Artie is the reason that Tereek changes the way he is. Artie changes Tereek’s view of life. Tereek and Artie become a symbol of humanity in the world. Artie isn’t a character that is just there to push the story along, he is the reason the story keeps going. His character has an actual narrative. 

I think you should watch this film because it has great character growth and development. I enjoyed the character development of Tereek’s character. He was very hostile at the beginning of the film. To everybody around him. By the end, he showed passion for other people, whom he met that night. Tereek helps the old man and the old man helps Tereek. 

Feeling through is a short film, I watched in my film class. This short film spoke to me as a young black man.