Adman | Teen Ink

Adman

By slinny BRONZE, Sacramento, California
slinny BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it out or not." -Uncle Iroh

Most satires and comedy films don’t do it for me, but this one does. Adman is a satire film about a basic love story just like anything else, except the way it tells this normal story is with ironic fake advertisements that connect to what he experiences in the moment. If you’re looking for a quick laugh, this film will at least get a smirk on your face.

This satire takes a romantic approach to this film and makes it a love story. But, to be fair, it’s not that different compared to other love stories. There isn’t anything in depth about the characters and even if it does show them loving each other, it’s not any different from any other love story. A person finds the one they love, they win their heart, possibly a small twist, same old story. Even so, the plot isn’t what this film focuses on, it focuses on something else.

Moreover, it’s the way the story is told that sells this film. Since it’s a compilation of advertisements the setting always changes every few ads, even the characters' outfits change for the sake of the advertisement. It may be ridiculous to tell a story through ads, but I think it’s a really creative way to put a story together and it could be an inspiration for others to try and put their own unique twist on the same story. Not only that but that ads relate to the point of where the main character is in their life. For example, there’s this one ad that shows him in an office and he hits a vending machine but catches the eye of the one he loves. That’s the moment when he finds the person he loves, but in an ad.

The film may be a satire and ironic, but may leave you with some thoughts that relate to advertisements and our modern lives. Some advertisements are funny, sure, but we are the consumers and we buy those products to either enjoy them or use them because they are our necessity. Adman pokes fun at the idea of advertising and possibly pokes fun at our lives for being the consumers we are. It really makes me think about my next purchase and if it’ll be worth it or not.

You should give Adman at least 1 watch, even if you’re not into advertisements or love stories. It’s got good humor, you’ll find some enjoyment out of it. Grab a snack and get ready for a simple love story shown in 10 minutes worth of advertisements.

Adman is a great short film and it has inspired me to put my own thoughts about it. The unique way it tells a story inspires me to try something different with my own, and I think it's really cool it can show other people that stories don't have to be same in the format every time you read or watch one. I want to be able to try and make something like Adman, where the way it shows the story really captivates the audience.