Review: Hamilton | Teen Ink

Review: Hamilton

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

Hamilton features musical lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who was inspired by Ron Chernows’s biography of Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton is about three hours long, and can sometimes be watched in person on Broadway. If you own Disney+, you can also watch it there.

Hamilton is about Alexander Hamilton’s life, starting from when he was an orphan to his death-by-duel with Aaron Burr. The main conflict doesn’t come until later when Alexander Hamilton starts to have a rivalry with Aaron Burr. The main theme of Hamilton is how friends and family can get you through even the darkest times of life, and to never give up hope.

Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect musical, and even Hamilton must abide by that. There is only one short break, the intermission, within the whole thing, giving viewers a short amount of time to process what they just watched, not to mention the pacing. Hamilton goes by very fast, especially with the cabinet battles and other fast-paced moments. Other things of note would be the historical inaccuracies, which would be too many to list here.

Nonetheless, Hamilton is a fun and interesting performance to watch, if you’re there to see the people. Hamilton is very difficult to follow on the first watch, and there are several historical inaccuracies and several plot holes in the musical. I personally wouldn’t recommend the musical, but if you believe that you’ve got a spare ear and a knack for picking up on fast lyrics, then go give Hamilton a try.

This was a school assignment and I figured I could submit it here.