An Exploration of Morality and Science: Oppenheimer's Internal Struggle as the Anchoring Theme | Teen Ink

An Exploration of Morality and Science: Oppenheimer's Internal Struggle as the Anchoring Theme

November 21, 2023
By DarrenQian BRONZE, White Plains, New York
DarrenQian BRONZE, White Plains, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Christopher Nolan’s 2023 biopic "Oppenheimer" is his latest cinematic masterpiece. Depicting theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer's life and his crucial role in the development of the atomic bomb, the movie places Oppenheimer’s internal struggle with morality at the forefront. This thematic choice, in turn, adds depth to Oppenheimer's character and drives the film's emotional resonance and intellectual engagement. After exiting the theatre, viewers are left feeling contemplative and haunted by the ethical dilemmas explored in the narrative.

One of the most touching scenes in the movie takes place in Oppenheimer's cluttered office, where he is seen poring over scientific calculations and blueprints. The weight of his internal conflict is palpable, as viewers experience the contrast between his scientific brilliance and the moral difficulties he faces in using science for such destructive ends. The cluttered workspace becomes a metaphor for the chaos within his mind as he is torn between the pursuit of scientific achievement and the ethical implications of creating a weapon of mass destruction. 

Moving from here, the film skillfully uses flashbacks to Oppenheimer's interactions with fellow scientists and government officials during the Manhattan Project. In one such flashback, Oppenheimer engages in a heated debate about their work's potential consequences, highlighting the situation's moral gravity and emphasizing his internal conflict. A pivotal moment occurs when Oppenheimer witnesses the first successful test of the atomic bomb. The blinding flash of light and the following shockwave are visually striking and serve as a powerful metaphor for the internal detonation happening within Oppenheimer himself. The aftermath of the test paints a vivid picture of the emotional toll exacted by his involvement in the project, with Oppenheimer visibly shaken. 

The movie's commitment to exploring Oppenheimer's internal struggle as the central theme is even evident in its narrative structure. The plot consistently circles back to moments of introspection, revealing the ongoing battle within Oppenheimer's conscience. The cuts between his personal life and the broader social world underscore the way that his emotions and internal life and inherently bound with the external and political issues that are occurring all around him.

In summary, what makes Nolan’s Oppenheimer so great is that it humanizes a historical figure, propelling the film to explore the interplay between science and morality by establishing his internal conflict as the narrative's focal point. the film expertly confronts viewers with the ethical dilemma Oppenheimer faced, yet provides no clear-cut answers.


The author's comments:

As an international student, I look for common interests between the people from my country (China) and the people here. People share the same enthusiasm for well-illustrated plots and settings, yet most books where I'm from need to be more original and often censored. This is where movies come in. Movies can be enjoyed around the world equally, and that's what makes it different from books. Simply download it from the internet, and you'll be able to enjoy the same movies that the astronauts on the ISS. The Power of Human Entertainment