The Black Phone Review | Teen Ink

The Black Phone Review

November 21, 2023
By Paige_Kohlman BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Paige_Kohlman BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   Horror movies and thrillers often get confused with each other. The Black Phone is considered a horror movie, but I disagree.


   Taking place during the 1970’s in the town of Denver, Colorado The Black Phone is paced to hook you easily while also being able to give the characters and story a strong background. Right at the beginning we are shown a community that has been going through it recently from children going missing. A man who got the title “The Grabber” lures children into his van and ultimately the worst days of their lives leading to their tragic deaths.


   We are introduced to a boy named Finney right off the bat, who has been getting bullied relentlessly from boys at school and his father at home. He was walking home from school when a man had dropped his groceries and was fumbling around; Finney timidly asked the man if he needed any help, which he would later regret. 


   A thriller movie, according to the dictionary is, “a work of fiction or drama designed to hold the interest by the use of a high degree of intrigue, adventure, or suspense”.  Whereas a Horror movie is an, “overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting; a shuddering fear. to shrink back from a mutilated corpse in horror.” There were some suspenseful moments but nothing that made me want to hide under the covers. The Black Phone is a cold hard thriller movie because it held my interest with all of the suspense, high level of anticipation, and the uncertainty if this time he will be successful in his escape or not. 


   It was an impressive movie, because of the casting and amazing performances. Their portrayal of the abducted teenager and deranged captor added depth and realism to the characters, making the movie all the more captivating. The well-crafted story and exceptional performances left a lasting impression because, start to finish, the film will pull you in. Keep you guessing. Pulling you in deeper, until a big relief comes at the end and sets you free.


The author's comments:

This movie was very enticing and worth the watch. I stumbled upon it on accident but its now a movie I can rewatch multiple times without being annoyed.