Barbie Movie Review | Teen Ink

Barbie Movie Review

By jj0973bdirn BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jj0973bdirn BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The Barbie movie that came out in 2023 created all kinds of buzz. Some examples are Progressive had a Barbie themed commercial that promoted their company as well, commercial for Barbie. Croc’s came out with a pink, Barbie themed Croc. Prada as well came out with a pink clothing line that was Barbie themed. With all of these different kinds of brands promoting the movie, it promoted it to all different kinds of people. Which then made the movie a bigger success. This intrigued me to watch this movie in the first place. 

The overall movie had a great cast. They cast Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken, those two actors made the movie better overall. They had the perfect looks for Barbie and Ken as well. When you think of the Barbie and Ken dolls you think of perfect skin and body and perfect blonde hair. Margot and Ryan both have these making them fit perfectly.  

The movie started in “Barbie Land” where everything was perfect all the time, but then Barbie started feeling sad and had to go to the real world to find who plays with her Barbie to fix it. Then in the real world they ended up finding how different this was making the plot of the movie. 

The movie had a lot of funny more adult humor that could easily go over a kids head which made the movie good for a lot of ages. Like when there was the “beach you off” joke in the movie. Another example of adult humor is the Growing up Skipper doll, whose breasts grow at the pull of a string. I am sure most kids did not see the humor in this one. 

They also had popular music artists write songs for the movie. Like Dua Lipa, Lizzo, and Billie Ellish. Which made the music better and more liked by people. They also used pop culture references which reached out to the target audience of teenagers to young adults.  This was mostly brought from the narrator. For example when he said “Thanks to Barbie, all problems of feminism have been solved!” They also talked about Mattel, the brand that owns Barbie, the quote says, “Don’t blame me, blame Mattel. I don’t care.”The narrator added the most comedic quotes. For example, “Barbie has a great day every day, but Ken only has a great day if Barbie looks at him.” 

Then at the end of the movie it had a more realistic part that you would not expect to be at the end which I felt made the movie better. For example, “Humans only have one ending. Ideas live forever.” It kept you entertained and had a good message at the end. But then also added some funny parts to keep it in the style of the movie.

The overall movie was very well done and did not disappoint. It had good marketing, cast, and comedy.

This piece is about the new Barbie movie and how it was an overall success in everyway.