Hocus Pocus 2 | Teen Ink

Hocus Pocus 2

By Jenna_Haze BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jenna_Haze BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Nijimy, and Taylor Henderson return to Salem on Halloween night. The spin off of Disney's hit 1993 movie Hocus Pocus makes a comeback with its new addition called Hocus Pocus 2 

Sharing the background of the Sanderson sisters' childhood, this movie leads into today's modern world and their new adaptation from 1637 to 1993 to 2022. Instead of Max Dennison (Omri Katz), Allison (Vinessa Shaw), and Dani Dennison (Thora Birch)lighting the black candle, the new cast is Becca Played by Whitney Peak and Izzy Played by Belissa Escobedo. They go on an adventure into Salem’s forbidden woods, later lighting a candle they gathered from an antich shop to honor Whitney's 16th birthday not releasing the powers it held once lit, which as you can guess brought the distasteful sisters back to life.

These child hungry witches create a suspenseful spooky laughable movie. While watching it I let out a little chuckle as the witches showcased their famous “I Put A Spell On You” Performance. Along with their attempt to use today's “teen slang”. Because of this it created a movie entertaining for children and adults of all ages. 

As I was watching the movie it felt very predictable because it carried a similar plot as the first movie: with the 3 kids, the candle lighting, and the 3 witches coming back from the dead. Although it did seem a bit repedative at the start the new actors and scenery freshened it up by bringing in new friend drama and new teen problems between the characters along with character relationships. For example in the first movie it was 2 teens and a little girl while in the second it was 3 teens. This helped us get a new dynamic of the movie.  

While not only bringing important pieces from Hocus Pocus 1 that makes it a holiday classic it brings in the new, making it stand out on its own. Which leads me to believe this sequel to Hocus Pocus is a yes for me. 

I was inspired to write this piece by my little sister who enjoyed this particular movie and hope some people will want to watch it during Halloween