Killers Of the Flower Moon review | Teen Ink

Killers Of the Flower Moon review

November 20, 2023
By Anonymous

This historical crime drama displays a long cold story about the early beginnings of America. I expected a long, boring, somewhat politically biased reenactment of when white Europeans claimed America, however I was surprised. 

I first perceived Ernest, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, as a prototypical white guy with a beard and rotten teeth and always acting upset at the world. However, Leonardo did a spectacular job digging deep into character displaying his wide range of emotions and acting skills. The settlers pack their bags and head out to northern Oklahoma where they meet many Native tribes. The movie depicts the high tensions between American settlers and Natives shown by two of the men, one Settler, and one Native in a full out John Wick styled fist fight. The producers did a respectable job of keeping me interested through the long 220-minute film packed with constant tense moments and action. 

The tribe Leader is depicted as an old wise man free of harm. The production seemed as if they wanted him to look like a victim of European invasion. they could have done a better job of making him seem stronger and less submissive towards the settlers who were ultimately taking his family's land. This didn't feel as historically accurate as other scenes.

While the long 220-minute masterpiece, Ernest unveiled the inside mind of settlers. The movie's introduction unexpectedly flips quickly as we find out early that Ernest is a mass murderer; he orders death as fast as you can order a meal in a drive through. This movie seemed to have turned from a historical fiction to a horror scene. I didn't appreciate the unexpected gore as it was not advertised beforehand. I'm not a very sensitive person but a warning would be appreciated before witnessing a grueling decapitation. 

Over a nearly four-hour time frame the movie eventually unveiled its main theme of toxic masculinity and not letting society decide who you should love. Ernest found love for one of the overtaken tribe members' daughters, Mollie. I appreciated how the director gave us little to no hints of the hidden love Ernest had for Mollie until revealed.

The theme is put on display as Ernest is very toxic towards his wife due to her race and gender. Later on, after Mollie’s hope for Ernest to change had halted, the marriage crumbled. The actors were very straightforward when expressing emotions, it’s one of my favorite details. Aggressive conversations between characters made the movie more interesting despite its length. It provided entertainment even in low moments. 

Another great tactic the director used to focus the audience was death. Death surrounded the movie and surprised the audience constantly. Many static characters were dying left and right, providing more emotion to the film. 

Winding down, the main characters Mollie and Ernest started to gain love for each other. Like many movies you have seen before there is a happy ending. Despite the killing, sickness, and struggles; the audience is warmed when the two express their love for each other again.  The theme of toxic masculinity and not letting society influence your relationship was put on full display and lingered with the audience as we left our seats. 


The author's comments:

My name is Vance Holtz, I go to Arrowhead High School. I play football and love to golf, cook, and play video games in my free time.