Us (2019) | Teen Ink

Us (2019)

By franciecorry BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
franciecorry BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin

To do a horror movie right, you need a well written plot that will keep you thinking even after the movie ends, a skilled cast who can make their fear feel real, and, by definition—it needs to be scary. 

Us follows a family of four, the Wilsons, who travel to their beach house in Santa Cruz for summer vacation. After some strange coincidences, the family is attacked in their home by another family of four, who appear to be their doppelgangers, all wearing red jumpsuits. These doppelgangers call themselves “Tethers”, clones of people living in the real world. The Wilsons flee the home, and spend the night trying to figure out what’s happening, and more importantly, trying to stay alive. This all culminates in the big twist at the end, which makes you question the entire movie. The plot was one that left the viewer with more questions than answers, but in the best way. 

I will admit that, at first, I thought the movie was dumb and predictable. I guessed the plot twist from the beginning, and anyone else watching it likely could too. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how brilliant it was. 

During my second watch, I noticed so many little details that hinted at the plot twist, that I hadn’t the first time. I also had more questions about how the twist happened, which kept me intrigued days after I had watched the movie. And Tied in with the horror aspect of this movie were some political and social commentaries that made the movie more compelling than your typical gory horror film. Although these messages aren’t explicitly stated, themes of class inequality and a general fear of outsiders are very prevalent in the film, in ways that could be interpreted differently by every watcher. 

My only complaint with the ending was that it  had a long monologue explaining the tethers, which could have been shown rather than stated. Otherwise, I thought the plot and the writing kept the suspense high and made for a thought provoking movie.

Additionally, this film’s talented cast brings the story to life. Unlike most movies and TV shows, each actor plays not one, but two characters: a normal person and their doppelganger. Lead actress Lupita Nyong’o plays a caring mother, Adelaide, as well as her violent and haunting counterpart, Red. Winston Duke plays Adelaide’s husband, Gabe, an easygoing and stereotypical American dad who cracks a few too many bad jokes, as well as Gabe’s counterpart and Red’s husband Abraham, who is mute and awkward, but brutish. The child actors, Shahadi Wright Joseph and Evan Alex are Even more impressive. Joseph plays the Wilsons’ daughter Zora, who is a relatively normal adolescent girl with a bit of a phone addiction, and her murderous counterpart Umbrae, who is constantly smiling a large and unnerving grin. Alex plays the Wilsons’ son, Jason, who enjoys performing magic tricks and annoying his older sister, as well as Pluto, a pyromaniac who crawls on all fours. 

The actors are convincing and capture the duality of their characters well. Although they look the same, their personalities clearly define them as two separate characters. The real people characters seem terrified and surprised throughout the movie, while the tethers seem determined and horrifying.

Finally, the movie was, as it should be, scary. It had suspense that built up for effective jump scares, characters with unsettling personalities and appearances, and a plot that, while unrealistic, had aspects that could make sense in real life, making it more enjoyable. I remember walking out to my car in the dark after seeing it, half expecting to see my clone lurking in the shadows, ready to get me.

Overall, I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys the horror genre or movies with sneaky social commentary. It is a great watch if you’re looking for a movie that will make you think, while also providing entertainment.