Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse Review | Teen Ink

Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse Review

By 5platten BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
5platten BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

"It's not the clothes on the man it the man in the clothes" - Roscoe

Before I watched this movie, I had high expectations. The Sony Animations team released exciting trailers that displayed beautiful visuals, Great voice acting, stunning animation style, and outstanding storytelling. I was hooked. 

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, is a 2023 Action/Sci-Fi film that focuses on a young Miles Morales, played by Shameik Moore, engaging in combat with a nemesis, Spot, and a protagonist turned antagonist, 2099 Spider-man or Miguel O’Hara, while building his relationship with his friend, Gwen Stacy played by Hailey Steinfeld.  When Miles encounters Spot, he underestimates his power, enabling Spot to grow stronger while going unnoticed. Eventually, Spot grows so strong that he plans to destroy everything Miles loves. 

Miles follows Gwen to the ‘Spider-man HQ’ where he meets the lead Spider-man, Miguel O’Hara. Miguel is an uptight leader who finds his motives in his own family that he accidentally killed and his timeline that he destroyed. While trying to get back to Miles’ universe to save his family, Miguel explains that if he intervenes and saves his family from Spot, it will scramble the timeline. Miles objects to this idea, which creates many well-crafted action sequences with the movie's main villain, 2099 Spider-Man, and propels the plot forward.

I believe a good action story should have an original and intriguing story that burrows into viewers’ brains, keeping them contemplating where the story will go. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse does this very well. Especially because the film was designed to be a ‘To Be Continued’ story, the film leaves off with satisfying details Gwen gathered. The Movie’s ending does not stop the viewer's imagination from running on.

The movie had many great landscapes as well as cinematography. The contrast and use of colors to portray emotion and the setting were crucial to the film's success. As one of the most engaging parts of the film is the emotion, it is hard to convey that when all characters have masks on. The animation of the eyes, use of color, and great voice acting made the emotion sympathetic and realistic. Miles brings a sense of familiarity, especially with his personality. Miles is a true character with good values. He is brave but is also vulnerable. He is likable and very grounded. The performance from Shameik Moore supports the relatability and brings the character to life which many other well-respected and talented actors are not capable of. 

I believe the most impressive part of the movie is all the unique animation styles used. Each character has a different animation style that conveys what their world is like. The choppy style that is used in most action scenes is thrilling and has been proven to attract. Because of this Film, many other movies have tried to take on this style too. The recent movie Puss in Boots: The Last Wish was received very well and grew in success because of the wild animation style inspired by Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.

I would recommend this movie to others because no matter what genre someone is interested in, this movie fits all interests and is a genuinely unique experience.

I would like for people to recognize the successes and influence of published work rather than their failures.