The Lorax Film | Teen Ink

The Lorax Film

By jclark12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jclark12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

“I speak for the trees.” What? 

If you were to tell me to watch a movie, for fun, that was made after a Dr. Suess book, I would laugh in your face. That was my thought process before I watched The Lorax for the first time. 

Between Danny DeVito (The Lorax), Taylor Swift (Audrey), and Zac Efron (Ted), the cast on paper is unbelievable. The fact that they were able to get Taylor Swift to do it is a bright green flag that this movie will be amazing. 

As you begin to watch you realize that the plot is very similar to the book. The story is told through the Onceler (Ed Holmes) in the beginning as Ted leaves town and gets curious as to why there are no trees left. The Onceler explains the backstory to Ted and exemplifies how he got greedy and cut down the trees. This is how we are introduced to the Lorax, the speaker for the trees. O’Hare (Rob Riggle), also the antagonist of the movie, gets angry at the fact that Ted wants to bring trees back because he sells air to the entire city, and makes a fortune. Most of the conflict revolves around O’Hare and Ted’s differentiating opinions on trees and whether to bring the trees back. 

This cast executed this film to perfection as it is funny and can be intriguing to both kids and adults. It is funny through both subtle comments and general comedy. Executing a children's book to a movie is hard, mainly due to the sheer size of fiction in this story along with the use of Dr. Suesse’s imagination. Dr. Suesse is known to have a grand imagination through his many fictional characters and stories, so making a Dr. Suess movie come to life is a tough task for any producer.

The most impressive part about this story in my opinion, is the ability that the director and the creators had, to be intriguing to all ages of youth. Normally watching movies for children I get bored fast. With the Lorax, this doesn’t happen; I’m glued to the screen almost the entire time I’m watching this movie. 

Now I can say with confidence that I smile a little when I hear the phrase, “I speak for the trees.”

I watched the Lorax before doing this piece and I really liked it. That is why I decided to do my piece on it.