Do You Like THIS Scary Movie? | Teen Ink

Do You Like THIS Scary Movie?

By 5jungbluthe BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5jungbluthe BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The sixth movie in the classic American Slasher series, Scream VI, is the definition of a modern twist on a well known movie. I mean, how many series can you think of that can withstand five additional movies? Exactly. Scream is one of those series’ that will keep you guessing up until the last minute. Throwing twists and turns at the audience till the credits roll, this is why they have been able to make so many movies that keep the audience intrigued. 

Scream VI follows the lives of Billy Loomis’ (One of the original Ghost Face killers) two daughters, played by Jenna Ortega and Melissa Berra, as they try and navigate their way through a world of college and showing the world they aren’t like their father. Or are they? The movie starts off with a copycat Ghost Face murdering a professor, thus starting the cycle of the Ghost face murders. Early on we see Loomis’ older daughter Samatha struggle with her identity as she was previously the target of another Ghost face in the previous Scream V. 

Throughout the movie the screenwriter focuses on building the audience’s relationship between them and the characters. When bad things happen to the characters it makes the audience feel betrayal, sadness, or anger all that much more, especially in the end, when the mystery of who Ghostface is, and why are THEY targeting the former Ghostface legend Billy Loomis’ daughters is revealed. I remember finding myself thinking about how the poor girls just needed a break from the torment Ghost face put them through. The director made sure to build the watcher's feelings for a character and then dramatically put them through something horrible, or have that specific character become a traitor. All of these changes kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next and wondering if everything would work out in the end. Keeping an audience guessing is one of the telltale signs of a great horror movie, it’s something that the original Scream had and it’s something that was present in the new movie.

Many people were skeptical of how this movie would compare to the original Scream franchise. Should they stop releasing new movies? As someone who is newer to the franchise, I disagree. I admittedly watched the Scream movies out of order, seeing the sixth movie first and then started the series from the beginning, but by doing so it was so much easier for me to see just how well the sixth movie paired along with the original  Scream. The movie did a fantastic job at incorporating subtle “easter eggs” from the original movie, which acted as a great bridge between the movies. Also there was still a little bit of variation between the films, but who wants to watch the same plot multiple times? Definitely not me. This also helps create a new audience, I had never seen the Scream movies until I watched Scream VI and it was still fairly easy for me to follow along which helps to draw everyone in, not just the die hard Scream fans. 

All in all if you want a good modern twist on a cult classic, you should definitely check out Scream VI. It has everything a scary movie should, jump scares, false hope, and takes the watcher on a rollercoaster of emotions. So as they say, “Do you like scary movies?” 

I watched this movie when it first came out and it really stuck with me, I don't really know why because I typically don't like scary movies, which prompted me to write this review!