Why Edward Scissorhands is a Masterpiece | Teen Ink

Why Edward Scissorhands is a Masterpiece

By danielacosme BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
danielacosme BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

In 1990 a new hit movie came out starring Johnny Depp: Edward Scissorhands. Film Studies claims that Depp truly brings Edward to life. He gives Edward a sympathetic quality with no words, conveying genuine emotion just through facial expressions. He becomes the protagonist of the film, who watchers genuinely care about and love. And over 30 years later the movie is still as good as when it came out. This movie can be enjoyed by kids and adults. The movie takes place in a small town where everyone knows each other and reputations are everything. 

But Edward is different. He didn't come from a family, or was born by a mother. He was made. He was an invention. And before he was complete The Inventor died. Edward was left with scissors for hands. He stayed isolated and lived alone in The Inventor’s mansion.  

One day, Peg, an Avon representative, goes into an abandoned house looking for clients, and finds Edward. She brings him home with her, in her small, “perfect,” judgemental town. Peg didn’t care what people thought of him or what was said about him, she wanted to help him, and soon after she came to love him like a son. She knew that Edward was special. Edward feels at home with the family and quickly falls in love with Peg’s daughter, Kim. Edward’s story continues as he must face Kim’s controlling and toxic boyfriend, in an attempt to earn her love.

Edward Scissorhands is a different kind of love story that makes people's hearts melt. Especially with Tim Burton directing it, the film had its own unique twist of what love can look like. Despite falling in love with each other, Kim and Edward know they cannot be together. The forbidden love story is timeless, and has been seen from Romeo and Juliet, to Beauty and the Beast. Even though Edward and Kim couldn't stay together, they nonetheless demonstrate the strength of love and give the film a powerful emotional punch.

Movies that are really timeless connect with us because they deal with timeless issues like worries, problems, and ideas in a way that is so real that any generation can relate to it. The reason why Edward Scissorhands is timeless is because people can relate to this film so much, even though the movie came out 30 plus years ago. This movie has so many different layers to it, that almost anyone can relate to it. It can be trying to fit in, feeling like an outsider, or even falling in love with someone that's the complete opposite of you. 

Steven Spielberg has described timeless pieces “by holding onto a film, or a fragment from a film, that marks a time in your life that will always be a part of your life.” This is what timeless movies do to someone. They will always enjoy watching these kinds of movies. And Edward Siccorhands is one of the best representations of that. 

Works Cited

Ebert, Roger. “Edward Scissorhands movie review (1990).” Roger Ebert, 14 December 1990, rogerebert.com/reviews/edward-scissorhands-1990. Accessed 16 May 2023.

Martello, Olivia. “Edward Scissorhands: Why it Could be Tim Burton's Best Film.” MovieWeb, 2 November 2022, movieweb.com/edward-scissorhands-tim-burton-best-film/. Accessed 16 May 2023.

Weeks, Linton. “As Time Goes By, What Makes A Movie Timeless?” NPR, 22 January 2014, npr.org/sections/theprotojournalist/2014/01/22/264521244/as-time-goes-by-what-makes-a-movie-timeless. Accessed 16 May 2023.

Hi my name is Daniela Cosme and I’m a senior in high school. Growing up I always watched Tim Burton films, they were (and still are) some of my favorite movies. I hope you enjoy!