Ocean's Eleven Review | Teen Ink

Ocean's Eleven Review

By GradyM10 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
GradyM10 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Yen (Qin Shaobo), a tiny little acrobat for the circus, has found himself in the world’s safest vault with 160 million dollars that he plans to steal. He and the rest of his team must execute every little bit of their plan impeccably so they can still be alive when the sun rises. If one person makes just one tiny slip, either bombs, guards, or a SWAT team will take all of their lives. However, if they can execute everything perfectly, they will walk out several million dollars richer. I believe “Ocean’s Eleven” is the best action movie ever produced because of this scene and many others; however if action movies are not your forte, don’t bother watching this movie.  It does have a small amount of humor and other genres, but it is almost exclusively an action film. This gives it suspense throughout the entire film, which is a massive part of what makes it great. This movie also has amazing actors going for it, as well as the fact that viewers, even though we are not there, can still learn the plan.

“Ocean’s Eleven” has some big-name actors, which is one of the things that makes it a great movie. A few of these actors are George Clooney (Danny Ocean), Brad Pitt (Rusty Ryan), and Matt Damon (Linus Caldwell). I think these people did a great job acting in the movie. I liked that they portrayed their respective characters very well, especially Brad Pitt taking on the lifestyle of the sly, smart robber Rusty Ryan. Even though Rusty is a hardened criminal, Brad Pitt finds a way to show emotions when he needs to.

Another thing that I liked about these actors is that they showed the right emotions at the right times. One who particularly stood out to me was Carl Reiner (Saul Bloom). He excelled in showing emotions that got me connected to the movie. There are many points in the movie where it can be felt how nervous he is for their plan to fail.  I never knew how much it helped to have actors that did their job perfectly until I saw this movie.

Another factor that makes “Ocean’s Eleven” a great movie is that we viewers can learn the plan for the heist. It involves three casinos belonging to Terry Benedict; The Mirage, Bellagio, and the MGM Grand. The three casinos share a highly protected vault 200 feet below the Las Vegas Strip. They will attempt to sneak a small acrobat into the vault so that he can unlock it from the inside; though that is harder than it sounds. The vault is reinforced with lasers that sound alarms, the most secure vault door ever invented, bombs, armed guards, and closely monitored security cameras. All of these traps lead to a ton of suspense. 

Another great thing about this movie is that there is suspense throughout the entire thing, which I think is the biggest part in making it the best action movie ever. At any moment in the film, any of the characters could go to jail or prison for one or many offenses. Some characters, including the main character (Danny Ocean), just recently got freed and did not want to return. The actors in this movie do a great job showing that they could get taken away at any moment. They know that everyone will go to jail if every job is not done to perfection. In this movie, there is always something going on. Some characters get in trouble with the law and some get in trouble with the owner of the targeted casinos. A few even fight amongst themselves at many parts of the movie. 

“Ocean’s Eleven” is an outstanding movie if action is what is sought after. Suspense is one of the biggest factors in making this film action-packed and thrilling. It would be extremely unnerving to be in a vault filled with money and know that if a single little slip is made, your deathbed will be made. It would be hard not to run and hide from that fate, but in the movie, there is none of that. The characters are brave and know that they have to play their part, and play it perfectly. They stay calm no matter what the situation is. If you have any interest in watching an action movie, you might as well watch the best one: “Ocean’s Eleven.”