Twilight.

“NO! I love Edward Cullen more.” Is what I overheard a young teenage girl (about 15) scream at her friend while in my school cafeteria.
I saw girls with shirts and bags with “I love Edward Cullen”. I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes.
I asked her, “How did you like the book?”
Her reply was, “Uhm, I have just started reading it, and so far I love it.”

Fair enough, you can love a book, but to get that ‘emotionally attached’ to a character after just starting to read the book, just puts her, along with the book, to shame. When I started reading Twilight, many people would say “HA, why are you reading something that big, don’t you have a life?” Now obviously everyone’s life revolves around the famous Edward Cullen.

There were people screaming when the movie started, and girls screaming when the first saw Edward. Anyone who has really read the book thoroughly and ‘loves’ Edward Cullen, do not take offence to this, but it’s embarrassing to watch young girls through themselves at someTHING they hardly know about.

Honestly the movie was hardly good. It was mildly enjoyable to see the characters life on the big screen, but the acting was terrible, and Edward was far from the perfection described in the book. He had more of a rough and dirty look about him, as if the producers just picked him out of the crowed and chucked him on the screen. Not to mention Carlisle Cullen’s makeup was terrible. The book is far greater than movie; any real fan can see that.
These teeny boppers have hit a nerve with me. It makes Twilight look a whole lot less appealing. I am not one to follow trends, and I hate the fact that this is a ‘trend’ and everyone will be over it as soon as Harry Potter comes out, then we will all be hearing “I ‘love’ Harry more.”

BannedGeekII said...
I completly agree. Great article. The book was okay, not so greatly written and the movie made it a lot worse. The fact that everyone is obsessing over it is making it horrable. I'm almost embarrased to call thoose over obsessive people my peers. I didn't even think Edward Cullen was "gasp worthy" in the movie. Also, I like how you put that. Carlisle's make-up was just disgusting. I'm glade to see that there are some people with their heads screwed on correctly.

Vampires101 said...
Jul. 19, 2009 at 12:00 am
Hey! I'm a 'teeny bopper' and I STILL agree with you! When the movie came out, I hadn't started reading yet. Actually, I don't get to go to book stores often, and I was planning on getting the book long before it made the Cinima's. When I read it, it was pretty good, and then I saw the movie. At first, I was SO obsessed. Then I watched it again later, and it was like... aw, they didn't add this. Ergh. And Rob Patterson. Ew.

tim B. said...
Jul. 9, 2009 at 4:19 am
you could tell that Bella was totally doped out. she was like 'your a....(insert 5 minute pause here)....vampire.'
she even admitted to being a pothead.... also, search for my twilight review, but be warned, its a 5 pg long essay in word O_o

Valkyrie_123 said...
i love this movie and all of the books, hey awesome review!!!!

XoCheeseOnRiah94@aol.com said...
I agree with you 100%!!I have been trying to tell people this for ages, it is nice to know there are some sane people in the world. Besides books are always better than the movies

songo05 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
OMG I completly agree with you!! Twilight was a good book, the author describes edward as what I imagine a prince charming would look like, the movie puts this perfectly good book to shame. P.S. I'm soooo glad someone agrees with me on tht:)

CrazyPencilGirl said...
Jun. 20, 2009 at 11:23 am
SO TRUE! I totally agree. There is no way the movie was better than the book. I like Harry Potter, too. I think it was written better. Oh, and the movie of HP 6 won't be as good as the book, either.