Team America | Teen Ink

Team America

June 1, 2009
By Justin Waiss BRONZE, Stevenson, Washington
Justin Waiss BRONZE, Stevenson, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Team America is a movie that has everything in it that I love. Comedy, action, fake blood, puppets, and an R-rated label, right on the front of it, so you need to have an adult with you when you watch it, if you are under the age of 17.

Team America is a movie directed, and created by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the creators of the comedy show South Park. Instead of using actors, they use puppets of actors. The story starts in France, with a little boy with a fudgesicle, mostly on his face and not on the stick. The boy gets lost from his mother, and ends up finding a group of terrorists with stern faces, large noses, and a mysterious suitcase containing a WMD (weapon of mass destruction).

When the terrorists get angry, the heroes of the movie come to the rescue. Team America, a not so secret organization that protects the world from terror, who will do and destroy anything if it means to protect our planet. After neutralizing the terrorist threat and destroying the Eifel Tower and the Louvre, one of the members of the organization is shot dead in the hands of his comrades. Without the help of their fallen teammate, Team America is short a member, so they recruit a Broadway actor named Gary Johnston famous for his performance called AIDS. Unfortunately, Gary would rather keep himself alive then protect America, but eventually changes his mind after taking a look at the nations monuments and listening to the song “freedom isn't free”. The team is finally complete, consisting of a Broadway actor, an ex-football player, a martial arts expert, a “psychic” and a background psychologist. Team America also has a team leader who has a problem with drinking Scotch, named Spotswood and the super computer, I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E.

After recruiting Gary, I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. finds out about a possible nuclear attack in Cairo, Egypt, Gary is sent in as a spy to intercept the WMD but acts to well and is taken in the escape vehicle with the terrorists that are going to soon become suicide bombers. In the end, the plan works out well (minus destroying the sphinx's nose and the civilian casualties) and Team America retrieves the nuclear warhead. Unfortunately, there is a greater enemy than the Arabic Terrorists; an unknown enemy known as Kim Jong-il is located in North Korea, and he has placed warheads all over the globe, and are set to destroy all of the countries in the world.. So Team America must stop Kim Jong-il and the F.A.G.s, (Film Actors Guild) with actors such as Matt Damon, Samuel L Jackson, Matt Sheen, Susan Sarandon and led by Alleck Baldwin all before the nukes are detonated, but I wont ruin the ending, so you will have to watch the movie yourself.

Overall, I would give Team America a 9.5 out of 10. It is funny, crude, and has an unexpected twist in the end. What more is there to ask for? Maybe that the idea of the movie is true?! All countries think that America is a country where we do more harm than good, and where we think we are better than everybody else, which fits Team America perfectly. The theme of Team America is to keep your friends close, and you enemies closer. With a ton of great actors, hysterical songs such as “Freedom isn't free”, “Team America (f**k yeah)” and “AIDS” and clever minds, Team America is ranked number 1 on my favorite movie list. So go see it. F**K YEAH!