Star Trek | Teen Ink

Star Trek

By Matt Pryor BRONZE, Saugus, Massachusetts
Matt Pryor BRONZE, Saugus, Massachusetts

Here's my review, but keep in mind that I am in no way, a "Trekkie" or a hardcore fan at that. This review is unbiased and completely natural, hope you enjoy.

The intro was great, we saw James Kirk's father aboard the USS Kelvin, being attacked by the Romulans. Now it took me a while to understand who the Romulan's were because I had no prior knowledge whatsoever about the original T.V. series. So it becomes apparent that Kirk's father must kill himself in order to save his newborn son and his wife. He proceeds to crash the Kelvin into the Romulan's ship blowing it up, the film cuts to a young James Tiberius Kirk. He drives his step-father's vintage car and shows us his rambunctious personality. He drives near a cliff and nearly launches off it before he ends up jumping out and saving himself, this establishes a foreshadow and predicts how Kirk will act throughout. We then cut to a Vulcan academy, where half Vulcan half Human (Spock) seems inhumane as he shows no emotion and a very educated mind. Spock is set off however, when one of his bullies states a hurtful comment about Spock's mother, which sets him off and Spock proceeds to inflict pain on them.

All of these events set the stage for what was to come, a action-packed, dramatic film that pulled and held me in. The special effects were absolutely amazing and J.J. Abrams stashed some subtle references to LOST and Cloverfield. This movie even made me laugh, a lot of stupid humor but it worked seeing as it's possibly the biggest cult classic of all time. The action scenes were great, a lot of laser fire mixed with some hand-to-hand combat. I had some complaints however, Spock and Uhura were romantically involved and there was no explanation whatsoever, it hit the audience like a brick. Klingons were mentioned a ton of times however, they never even made an appearance which I didn't appreciate. I liked how two no-name actors played the two most important characters in the Star Trek series as well. I honestly have never seen either of them except for Zachary Quinto (Spock), who played a character on "24". Overall this movie was just great, although I felt it ran a little too short, you can't blame them because it could have gotten boring. For my overall rating I give "Star Trek", 4.5 out of 5 stars.