X-Men Origins: Wolverine | Teen Ink

X-Men Origins: Wolverine MAG

By Matthew Green BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Matthew Green BRONZE, Miami, Florida

“X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” a spin-off of the incredibly popular film franchise, may hold you as rigid as the adamantium that coats Wolverine's bones, but the sloppy plot and uninspiring special effects leave something to be desired. Directed by Gavin Hood (“Rendition”), the film follows the revenge-seeking James Howlett, better known as Wolverine (played by Hugh Jackman), who pursues his psychotic brother and encounters many life-threatening situations in the process.

The film begins with the ­advent of Wolverine's powers (superfast healing and retractable claws made from his own bone), and continues with a montage during the opening credits of his involvement in every significant American war.

During a mission in Africa, Wolverine's brother and fellow mutant, Sabertooth (Liev Schreiber), goes on a rampage, providing the basis of their ­antagonistic relationship. Years later, following the murder of Wolverine's girlfriend by Sabertooth, the true action ­finally begins as Sabertooth hunts down the remaining members of his military party and Wolverine attempts to get his revenge.

In an early fight between the two, Wolverine is defeated and requires the life-saving surgery that results in his trademark ­silver claws and bulletproof adamantium-clad body. Powered up, Wolverine continues on his quest, which eventually climaxes with a standoff at the always aesthetic Three Mile ­Island nuclear site.

While Jackman continues his role beautifully as the vein-popping, bellowing Wolverine, the other characters in this spin-off are less interesting than in earlier movies. Most notably, William Stryker (Danny Huston) and Sabertooth don't live up to their predecessors. Stryker, originally played by Brian Cox in “X2,” becomes more governmental and less controversial than the slightly deranged scientist who turned his own son into an experiment. We grew to be mystified with Sabertooth in the first X-Men (played by Tyler Mane). But in “Origins,” there is no limit to the clichéd one-liners this ­character drops mid-fight.

While “Origins” is undoubtedly entertaining, for fans of the X-Men series, it fails to fully satisfy. The action is ­suspenseful and exciting, but the loosely tied plot will leave some scratching their heads. Also, the great special effects that fans have come to love ­(especially in “X-Men: The Last Stand”) are missing here. Hopefully the rumored upcoming “X-Men Origins: Deadpool” will correct these inadequacies and satisfy this series' large fan base.

Despite the negatives, when claws clash, the viewer will ­forget the plot holes and simply be lost in the exciting battles between superhumans.

You can see more of my reviews at my review based blog at reviewsmatt.blogspot.com

i love the movie and i love this reveiw i also love the wolverine