To All the Boys I've Loved Before | Teen Ink

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

February 24, 2022
By Anonymous

   Among teens ages 13 to 17, 35% of Teens Have Some Experience with Dating or Romantic Relationships; 18% Are Currently in a Relationship of Some Kind. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” a 2018 Asian American & Pacific Islander film, directed and written by Susan Johnson, is a film mainly about a teenage girl who’s still in high school and the boys that she's had feelings for back then, and what it takes for her to connect with the boys again. The movie dives into the life of a young teenage girl: Lara Jean who lives with her 2 other sisters Margot and Kitty, Dad, mom passed away not too long ago. Lara Jean likes to write letters to all the boys who she’s loved before.
   This movie is rated TV-14 because it contains some s** and nudity and touches on some teen love subjects and profanity. This movie is by far the best romance teen film I have ever seen. It takes place in Portland, Oregon at Alder High School. It was Lara Jean's 3rd year of being in high school and her first year of her sister Margot not being there with her. Lara Jean has always wanted a relationship with a boy but never found one who she liked. As Lara Jean saw her sister Margot and her boyfriend Josh have a cute relationship she actually really wanted one now. Lara Jean went to school on her first day and her friend Christine has a cousin who was dating a boy she liked back then. Lara Jean had feelings for the boy who she liked back then but never really did anything about it. She continued writing letters to boys who she’s loved before but never mailed them to the boys.
   It was Margot’s first year of college. Margot and her boyfriend ended their relationship because Margot wasn’t going to be able to have a long distance relationship with him. After Margot went off to college, Lara Jean and Josh were neighbors. While Lara Jean had feelings for Peter Kavinsky at the same time she had feelings for Josh as well. Lara Jean continued to keep writing her secret love letters to the boys that she’s loved in the past. Not knowing that the letters Lara Jean wrote would ever get leaked out and get mailed to the boys. Well, unfortunately her little sister Kitty mailed the letters because she wanted to help Lara Jean find some romance for once in her life. Which Lara Jean did find some romance.
   Senior year, Lara Jean found romance and it was the boy who was the dream of her life. Even though Lara Jean and her new boyfriend Peter had some ups and downs with their relationship they’re still going strong. Lara Jean and Peter went on trips together. For example, the ski trip that Lara Jean and Peter both ever went on their very first trip together. The trip that Lara Jean and Peter went on was phenomenal going there and back but there was some drama between Peter and this other girl he did something with on the ski trip.
   I believe that every teenage girl or boy needs to see this. It made me laugh, cry, and think. The movie shows the love of teenage girl Lara Jean who is in the process of looking for romance and dating. Experiencing life without a mom but a dad who may or may not understand her. It signifies that even if the first person you date isn’t the one, the next one will come.