Hereditary | Teen Ink

Hereditary

I love watching horror movies—but most are just not scary enough. 

I wanted to watch something with my friends that would literally make us scream. Hereditary scared me to the point where I was so excited (and terrified!) to see what would happen next—my hands covering my eyes. The word Hereditary has never sounded the same after watching this film; the sheer fear and eerie feeling the film gives you, is unforgettable. 

This movie from the beginning made the hair on the back of your neck stand up. The movie had more of a sense of realism on a human scale than other horror movies. From this they got a great choice of actors. From Toni Collette playing as the Mother (Annie Graham) who inherited a sinister fate after her mother passes and becomes this person cursed by something hereditary. Milly Shapiro was perfect for her spot because of her whistling and quietness she played as Charlie Graham. Alex Wolff ( Peter Graham) as the teenage boy trying to figure out what is going on with his family, while he gets haunted by his dreams and trying to figure out if his dreams are true or not. He adds so much emotion and suspicion in his work, it’s hard to figure out what is going to happen next, instead of him making it like every other horror movie for example when the kid goes into the dark basement alone or when the music spikes up during a certain scene letting everyone know something is about to go down. I would not be recommending it to anyone. 

Sometimes in horror movies there is no plot, but this movie’s plot was confusing and it is increasingly getting scarier as the movie progresses. After the grandmother passed away the daughter and grandchildren unravel a perplexing inheritance and figure out all these alarming secrets that spiral into horrid secrets. I liked the plot because the whole movie was good, you definitely couldn’t figure out what was going to happen next. I would recommend this movie to anyone who is really looking for a movie that is way out of the ordinary.

This was the best horror movie I have seen lately