I Still Believe | Teen Ink

I Still Believe

By valerie-luca BRONZE, Hemet, California
valerie-luca BRONZE, Hemet, California

I Still Believe is a romance drama film directed by brothers Andrew and Jon Erwin.  This film is a true story about Christian singer Jeremy Camp, played by teen favorite KJ Apa,  and his former wife, Melissa Lynn Henning-Camp, played by Britt Robertson. Britt and KJ both co-starred together in A Dog’s Purpose, and their on-screen chemistry has only evolved since then. 

KJ started his career in New Zealand but was later shown on American television as Archie Andrews in Riverdale. Coincidentally, on the same day the first episode of Riverdale was released, so was A Dog’s Purpose. KJ Apa starred as Ethan throughout his young adult years. On the other hand, Britt Robertson started her acting career at a young age, with her earliest appearances in 2003. She is known for playing the lead role in Tomorrowland, but my personal favorite is The Space Between Us. As previously mentioned she co-starred with KJ as his love interest in A Dog’s Purpose. Although they’ve only co-starred once before I Still Believe, their on-screen chemistry is riveting. 

In I Still Believe, Jeremy Camp (KJ Apa) meets the love of his life, Melissa Henning (Britt Robertson) in college. They first met at a concert when Jeremy was pretending to be a part of the backstage crew. They both glared at each other when Jeremy was onstage for a moment. He then introduces himself fully knowing that she is the one for him. They start to become friends, but Jeremy wants them to be more than that, and deep down he knows that she has feelings for him, too. Once Jeremy asks her on a date, she is a bit reluctant to the idea, but the morning after she accepts to go on one date. 

By Christmas, they break up and Jeremy goes home for the holidays in Indiana. The first night he gets there, he gets a call from a friend that Melissa is sick and in the hospital. He immediately jumps out of bed and drives all the way to California to see her. When he gets there, they find out that she has Cancer. Once Melissa is free to leave the hospital, Jeremy decides to propose to her. He doesn’t want to see a life without her not being his wife. From then on, Melissa starts Chemotherapy and eventually has to cut off her hair. Jeremy takes time away from school to take care of Melissa and he also starts to pursue music. His career takes off as he starts recording songs and performing at concerts. He asks many people to pray for her, and miraculously, her cancer was gone. Six months later, they decide to get married. From there on, their lives drastically change. 

This movie has many ups and downs throughout. When I watched this movie the first time, I left the theater heartbroken and in tears. The second time left me even more heartbroken and in even more tears. One thing that got to me was that Melissa never said she didn’t want to die. She was always prepared for her day to come. She was happy that she would get to be with God. This movie is filled with faith, hope, romance, drama, and especially heartbreak. Jeremy learns how to deal with loss and is able to keep hope for his future. KJ Apa and Britt Robertson did an incredible job on this film and it is definitely one you will need tissues for. 

I first saw this movie on the day of the COVID shutdown, March 13. I watched it with fellow students from my church's confirmation classes. I fell in love with this movie the first time I watched it. Or maybe I just fell in love with KJ Apa. I can't tell which. Although it isn't a very popular movie, it is a great one to watch when you feel like crying.