Saving Private Ryan | Teen Ink

Saving Private Ryan

Saving Private Ryan proves to be a true classic that honestly and earnestly shows what life was like in World War II in a way that the world had never seen before. The movie takes place towards the end of World War II in Europe and revolves around Captain John Miller. After being informed that his duty is to find and rescue Private James Ryan, Miller immediately gathers a few of his men and troops to help him perform the task. Although all the soldiers are reluctant to have to travel through enemy territory and come into contact with the Germans, Captain Miller is leading this mission because Private Ryan's other three brothers have all been killed in action during the war and the resulting impact on Ryan's mother will be unbearable. As Miller and his troops try to ensure that Private Ryan is saved and brought back home safely, they are also forced to come across the difficulties of war and the inhumanity of World War II. In the process, Captain John Miller and all of his brave soldiers try their hardest to muster the strength necessary to continue fighting in the war and to continue looking for Private Ryan, and they all soon embody what it truly means to be a hero.  
 Saving Private Ryan is a stellar work of cinema because of its extraordinary ability to ground its characters, story, and setting in the unmistakably painful and gritty realism of World War II. Although the film itself is only partially based off of a true story and remains mostly fictionalized, the movie is so genuine and authentic that it's nearly impossible to realize that there are any fictitious components, which is simply a testament to the end product's cohesion. Moreover, the opening sequence is nothing short of impressive, and with Director Stephen Spielberg instantly grabbing the audience's attention with unforgiving, passionate intensity as he illustrates D-Day, he fervently shows the blood, the violence, and the grueling pain of war. Brutally crude at times, its famous opening scene revolves around the harshness and unforgiving reality of D-Day and World War II at its near despicable worst, but instead of glamorizing it or inherently making it seem more dramatic than it was, Spielberg puts all his greatest tools to the test and presents the pinnacle of legendary filmmaking. There's no sugarcoating nor withdrawals of the truth, and Spielberg instead offers viewers the type of accurate depiction of World War II that had never previously existed. Although some recent films have come close to replicating its level of success with modern technology, such as 2016's DunkirkSaving Private Ryan was and is still unparalleled with how it made veterans feel severe shell shock, trauma, and tangible pain for fallen friends. What Spielberg captures within the first fifteen minutes is as close to the actual war as any filmmaker has ever gotten, and within those fifteen minutes, it dawns on audiences that Spielberg has designed something so substantial and significant that the greatness that follows can only be expected. This representation of D-Day is so remarkable because of how it both lays down the groundwork for the rest of the story to follow and how it immediately introduces characters and the setting without any unnecessary or clumsy formalities. Halfway through, it becomes clear that each and every detail included in this work of film is deliberate and purposeful, and as Spielberg's brilliance begins to slowly creep in and make viewers understand his approach to telling the events of the war to an even greater extent, there's much to like and much to be amazed by. By the time the end credits start rolling, audiences come to the startling realization that this is the culmination of one of the greatest directors of all time putting his all into a piece of art. As a result, there are few faults, if any, throughout the course of the movie, and with the story encompassing World War II in only one hundred seventy minutes, it deserves to be seen by all ages as the perfect way to learn about the second World War, honor fallen soldiers, and pay respect to what it took for Americans and most of the Western world to experience freedom.  
 Saving Private Ryan often relies on Stephen Spielberg's genius as a director, but it also has the tremendous benefit of working with a marvelously charismatic cast that oozes with talent. With nearly every character capable of compelling audiences, the buildup of drama, emotion, and intensity among characters and events is enhanced and amplified by truly terrific acting. In particular, Tom Hanks is simply wonderful as Captain John Miller, and at the near peak of his powers, Hanks shows why he is one of the greatest actors to ever live as he provides a performance to remember. Subtle, bold, and entirely likable, Hanks becomes unforgettable as his character becomes the definitive symbol of an American solider and hero embedded within each and every viewer. With Hanks showcasing the emotion of his character in a slightly refrained, patient manner, he helps allow Captain Miller to come to vivid life and become incredibly human. Amongst all of the cruelty and savagery of war, Hanks still somehow manages to present touching emotion and makes watchers appreciate what it means to fight for a cause. By Hanks' side is an equally outstanding supporting cast, and one strong performance in particular comes from Edward Burns' portrayal of Private Reiben. With Burns' Private Reiben possessing some of the finest one-liners of the entire film, his character is definitely a key part of some of the movie's most enjoyable moments. Another noteworthy role comes from Tom Sizemore's portrayal of Sergeant Horvath, and with Sizemore often coming across as immensely charming and captivating, Sizemore's Horvath is often capable of being appealing. Although there are plenty of other notables throughout the film, including Vin Diesel's Private Caparzo, Barry Pepper's Private Jackson, Adam Goldberg's Private Mellish, and Giovanni Ribisi's Irwin Wade, there's no denying that the main star of the film is Tom Hanks, and as reliable and as skillful as always, he brings out the best in Spielberg's vision. 
 Saving Private Ryan finds the rare blend of powerful drama, poignant emotion, and eloquent gravitas that all other war movies aspire to. Simply Director Stephen Spielberg at his finest, it's a raw look at the second World War and all that it represents: freedom, bravery and young soldiers just fighting for justice. Dragging audiences to the very brink of the frontlines themselves, it's explosively moving, stirring, and as striking of a movie as they come. A shear masterpiece, the sensational combination of superb storytelling, excellent execution, and majestic moviemaking makes it one of the greatest war movies ever made and one of the greatest works of cinema ever. Along with Tom Hanks asserting his position as one of the most influential and talented actors of the past thirty years, this movie is an instant classic that has every reason to stand against the test of time to remain a necessary film thirty years from now. This is absolutely a must-see. It's that good.

"Except this time the mission is the man." - Sergeant Horvath