Marley and Me | Teen Ink

Marley and Me

April 21, 2009
By hannahbanana24 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
hannahbanana24 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston play the roles of John and Jenny Grogan in the new 2008 film “Marley and Me” were they decide to adopt a Labrador retriever. John and Jenny both write for newspapers trying to get by living in Florida after their wedding day in Kalamazoo Michigan.


Marley is a unique dog in many ways, doesn't like to listen, is scared of thunderstorms, and has columns written after him everyday by one of his masters, John Grogan (Owen Wilson). John was assigned a column for just a few weeks to fill up the space, but in the end, completely takes over the column because everyone loves to read about his life with Jenny and Marley.


John and Jenny have three children after the fourth try losing their first child before it's ten weeks. Both Jenny and John decide to pick up and move to Philadelphia so John can start writing for a new paper, and to try some new things with their family. Three kids, a dog, a brand new house and town later, John realizes that the column he left behind in West Palm Beach, Florida was what he loved to do most.


This movie is extremely family friendly, funny, and also emotional. Marley, like any other dog has to pass on sooner or later. Marley has a condition in the movie where his stomach twists making him very ill and weak, wanting to stay under a tree to pass away. Owen Wilson, John, becomes very attached to Marley and ends up taking him to the vet where he is put to sleep.