The Unsinkable Ship | Teen Ink

The Unsinkable Ship

By Macy Gough BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Macy Gough BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

The unsinkable ship; an every day nickname of the enormous ship the Titanic, was gloated about atop the first class decks of the rich and famous. Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet), a young once rich woman whose engaged to the filthy rich Cal Hockley (Billy Zane), is almost desperate to please her mother by marrying to a rich man in order to keep the family name.

The movie first takes place with an old 101-year-old Rose, telling her story to a treasure hunter (Bill Paxton), as he tries to find the famous “heart of the ocean. This rare blue diamond was given to her by her fiancé and was originally King Louis XVI’s.

Her whole life changes when Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio), a young boy who wins his ticket in a lucky hand of poker, persuades her to come back on the right side of the ship when she tries to jump off. He saves her life, and she realizes he is an amazing guy. When I first saw this, I was skeptical on whether or not their growing relationship would work, but I automatically was all for their sudden love.

Although Jack is ridiculed for his third class ticket, Rose cares not, and is falling in love with Jack quickly. The class difference and segregation is strongly shown in this historic movie. The young love that grows between Jack and Rose grows stronger; Cal begins to catch on slowly. One evening after Jack was invited to dinner in first class, Rose joins him in exciting folk dancing in third class. She learns what it’s really like to have fun and how much she was missing in life.

As the secret lovers plan on eloping and leaving the ship together once they get to America, the “unsinkable ship” hits an immovable iceberg. Everyone seems all right at first, but the architect of the ship is extremely startled and knows right away that the ship will sink in two hours or less. The idea of the sinking ship was so real and he portrayed it in such an amazing way.
The two lovers were split up as Jack begins to slowly freeze to death after the ship sunk and she told him she’d “never let go”. The love they hold for each other will never be let go. This movie tears at the heartstrings and tugs at your emotions. I would rate this a Five Star Movie.